Chapter 16- Just Us

December 25th. December 26th. December 27th.

The days spent in her muggle home flew by as she eagerly awaited the day that she would meet up with her school friends. Luckily, her parents agreed to let her go. Petunia, however, didn't seem to care; she was only glad that Lily would be gone as to not "scare Vernon off with her freaky ways".

For her Christmas holiday, she had gotten some new books from her parents, loads of candy from Alice and Marlene, and a gorgeous green-gem-studded necklace that perfectly complemented her eyes from James. She received a package from Severus; but she couldn't bear to open it, so it sat untouched on her dresser.

"December 28: Packing Day." Her calendar reminded her of the day she had been anticipating ever since she left Hogwarts. And she couldn't wait to see James again.

Quite honestly, she didn't know what to call James.

Boyfriend sounded so strange in her mouth. Friends was a word too mild to describe what was between them. Random Dude just didn't cut it.

So Lily just decided on waiting to see how James introduced her to his parents.

--

Ding Dong

The sound Lily had been dying to hear finally rung through the house. She grinned eagerly and skidded down the stairs.

"I've got the do-" Her voice faltered when she saw Petunia opening their front door.

"Um, hello? You must be Petunia! Lily's told me all about you!" James' voice drifted through the house, and Lily's heart did a fancy aerobatic maneuver in her rib cage.

Suddenly James' hazel eyes met Lily's green ones, and the world stalled for a second. Lily's breath hitched in her windpipe. Had he always been that handsome? Lily didn't even blink at the funny looks Petunia was giving her when Lily stepped forward to hug James.

"You actually came, bloody idiot."

James just laughed into her hair and muttered, "Did you really think that I would leave you with her?"

"You must be this "James boy" that our daughter hasn't shut up about, and I can see why!" Lily's father exclaimed, and Lily's cheeks grew red.

"Father!"

"Sorry." Her father coughed out a half-hearted apology.

James' heart raced; did Lily talk about him a lot? He could hear Lily saying good-bye to her parents, so he lifted her bags with one hand.

"Ready, Lily?" James caught himself, and Lily just laughed as she nodded. James wrapped his arm around Lily's waist, and she leaned into him. James gave a warm farewell to Lily's parents after assuring them that their daughter was in good hands.

With a loud crack, Lily and James disappeared from the middle of the room; and Lily's parents were awed at the impressive display of magic.

--

The couple appeared just on the walk way of the Potter's house.

"House," thought Lily, "didn't really describe it accurately."

To her, it was more suited as the Potter's Mansion or even the Potter's Castle. Even the walk way was extravagantly furnished with roses and small stone benches.

James was glad that his parents had gotten his memo to be on their best behavior. Honestly, James would die of embarrassment if his parents burst out singing the "Welcome Back, James" theme song they sang every time James came back for break.

When they were about to ring the door bell, a wave of nervousness shot through Lily's body. She hadn't really thought about it, but what would James' parents think of a muggle-born who their son had a romantic interest in?

James, sensing that Lily was slightly worried, subtly wrapped his fingers into hers. He felt her relax slightly, but she was still on guard.

"What is she so worried about?" James thought to himself as he pressed the doorbell.

--

Surprisingly, the meeting with James' parents went smoothly. James introduced Lily, and his parents went on non-stop about how James wouldn't stop talking about Lily since his first visit back from Hogwarts.

"And he was bloody right about your looks, darlin'." Mrs. Potter laughed.

"You should have heard him!" James' father chuckled, "'Oh father, there's this amazing girl back at Hogwarts with the most dashing red hair-- it makes her look like a flaming sunset-- and her bloody gorgeous green eyes that I would just watch sometimes. And when she hits me on the head with her book, dang, she looks really~ cute!'" Mr. Potter teased, ending with a fake swoon onto the couch.

At this point, James wasn't sure whether to escape to Sirius and his gang and leave Lily to his parent's mercy, or to try to get his parents to stop talking. Lily glanced over at him, and James' cheeks were blood red.

"M-Mrs. Potter, would you mind s-showing me where to put my stuff?" Lily cursed her shy stutter in her head.

"You are only talking to them. Goodness gracious, Lily. Belt up." She muttered to herself and saw James shoot a cheeky grin at her.

--

The remaining days before New Years slipped by; and before either Lily or James realized it, it was New Years Eve.

Apparently, the Potters were having a small party of their closest friends, and it was a formal party. Luckily, Lily had packed away a dress in case something like this would arise.

Calming herself beside her friends, Lily grinned at Marlene, who had taken a special interest in Sirius. Marlene was oblivious to Sirius' flirting, which only made Sirius try harder.

After he saw Lily sharing a few dances with Remus, James felt boredom creep up on him. Of course, he was being a good friend and loaning out his girlfriend out so that one of his best mates could have some fun; but James secretly wished he could have Lily all to himself.

He had his chance at precisely 11:53 that night. Lily had given up on dancing in heels so she stood outside in the Potter's extensive garden. James stood behind her, hugging her from behind. That moment was so perfect, James wished he could freeze it and keep it with him forever.

"Me too..." Lily muttered, and James tensed. Had he really been saying all his thoughts out loud?

"I wish we would never have to leave this moment. Just us; no war, no nothin'. Just us." James whispered into Lily's hair, and she offered her agreement.

When the people at the party began to count down from 10 to start the new year, Lily and James didn't even think twice about kissing.

Lily leaned her forehead against James' and he showed a grin. They both knew that the other wanted to say something, but they were afraid to say it.

"Happy New Years, James." I think I love you. I wish we could spend this new year together.

"Happy New Years, Lily." I love you too.