Chapter 8- What if

Lily's mouth could have hit the floor. She gaped at the two figures in the common room's corner.

James was oblivious to Lily's enterance, for her making out with the girl in front of him. Sirius had finally convinced him that he should not stick with one girl forever. As much as he tried, he still couldn't get Lily out of his mind. Rita Skeeter was quite a good kisser, but he still wished it was Lily's lips on his and not the journalist.

James heard a small gasp behind him, and he turned to see Lily standing in the doorway.

"Hey, Li-"

Lily had already left the room, her body shaking with, what was that? Sobs?

James could hardly believe his eyes. Lily was crying over him?

"Nah," he thought, "she's probably mad that I promised her the common room to herself today."

Still, a thought nagged at the back of his mind. Lily might actually care about him...

Remus glanced up at the sound of crying. He was surprised to see Lily, her face stained with tears. He put his book on the bench next to him, and signaled for her to sit on his other side.

"What happened?" Remus practically yelled. Lily was like his sister, and he hated to see anything hurt her. Suddenly, an idea dawned on him. "Is James making you cry?" He knew Lily was planning on telling James, but he didn't know that James would treat her this way for confessing.

Confirming his theory, Lily just nodded and sat down next to him. Feeling his anger build up, Remus' eyes narrowed. I am going to have to talk to James. A big, serious, talk.

Not used to crying girls, Remus awkwardly patted her on the back as she cried into his Gryffindor sweater.

"Er, Lily, do you think we could move? Its kinda cold outside..." Remus muttered, trying to get Lily to think of something else beside James.

Lily nodded and reluctantly let Remus lead her to the Marauder's dormitory. Sirius, munching on candy, stopped in mid-chew, for he was shocked that Lily was crying.

"Maybe we should let, um I don't know, JAMES handle the girl who happens to be Lily!" Sirius told Remus, with a mouth full of chocolate.

At the mention of James' name, Lily burst into a fresh round of tears. Sirius looked questioningly at Remus, who just shrugged helplessly.

"What do we do?" Sirius mouthed at Remus, who mouthed back, "I have no experience with girls so..."

A few minutes of awkward hugs later, James burst into the room, on the verge of tears. Since his eyes were blurred with tears, he didn't notice Lily sitting on Remus' bed.

"G-g-guys. I t-t-think I compl-lately s-screwed everything with L-Lily." James croaked, tears pouring out of his eyes.

Remus and Sirius widened their eyes but lifted Lily's head up. She sniffled, and glanced at James and held back a gasp.

"J-James?" She whispered to herself, and Sirius held a finger to his lips, silencing her.

"Sirius, you were wrong. No matter what I try, I can't get that bloody girl out of my mind. Her hair is just so red, and I can't take my eyes off of- and oh, her emerald eyes. A-almost as precious- no, I would give up a million emeralds just to see her look at me with k-kindness..." James' voice tapered off as he noticed a certain crying girl that he had just described. Now, she was just staring at him, her lips slightly parted in awe.

"James, I-I..." she hiccuped.

James' jaw dropped, and he glared at Remus and Sirius in anger. "You guys let me spill my feelings in front of her! She hates me and now she can laugh at me forever." He growled.

His focus only on his friends, he didn't see Lily slowly walk up to him and place her hands on his shoulders.

"Hey, Potter, relax. I don't hate you, in fact, I think I-" She glanced at Remus, who nodded and made a nudging gesture with his hands.

Lily took a deep breath, turned pink and whispered, "I think I might like you, by like I mean like like you..." After she whispered that into his ear, she squeaked in embarrassment and dashed out of the room.

James was sitting on his bed with a stupid expression on his face. "Did she? Am I dreaming? What just happened..."

Remus and Sirius, however, were too busy laughing and dancing silly dances that James had finally gotten his girl.

"Ah, guys. I'm sorry about calling you out on letting her listen. I mean, it was probably the best decision that you have ever made, Sirius!" James laughed and almost passed out with happiness.

"You know what I think would make this day better? Some butterbeer." Sirius smirked, knowing his friends couldn't resist a good drink of their favorite beverage.

The three boys walked out of the room; one satisfied because a certain red head finally started to like him, another wondering about how much homework he would have to do, and the other pumped to start drinking butterbeer.

Lily, however, was screaming in her pillow, sure that James would never stop teasing her. Why had she let James bloody Potter into her heart. I knew perfectly well that he would just hurt me in the end... What if he doesn't like me back and was just playing with me? What if-