Chapter 4- One Point for Potter

The first week was a blur. Classes passed, Potter pulled pranks, and Severus kept trying to apologize.

Lily propped her head up with head up with her elbow, yawning. Professor Binn's class was the worst. A paper airplane landed onto her desk, and Lily immediately glanced up to see if Professor Bins noticed. Satisfied that he had not seen, Lily unfolded it and read.

Dear Lily,
Meet me on the Quidditch Pitch tonight?
-James

Lily rolled her eyes, and glanced back at James suspiciously. She tried to lean on her elbow again, missed the table by a few inches and tumbled to the floor. The whole class burst into laughter as Lily's face flushed a deep scarlet.

"A little distracted by my good looks?" James waggled his eyebrows at Lily, who glared at him.

"Oi shut up, Potter." Lily groaned and hauled herself up onto her chair.

The dismissal bell rang, and the whole class lept to their feet. Soon the room was full of, "Bye Professor Bins!" and "Do we really have to write 9 inches?"

Once Lily left the room, she immediately headed for the library, planning on finishing her 9 inch report during her free period. Humming softly to herself, she walked down the nearly-empty hallway.

"Ah, isn't the little mudblood!" A high, playful voice called.

Lily immediately recognized the voice, Belatrix Black.

"Well, dolly, why are you all alone? A wee ikle Gwiffindor by herself?"

Lily blinked, and stammered. "I-I-I'm just going to the library."

"Oh, are you now?" Belatrix twirled her wand in her curly, black hair. "I've heard that you were very mean to one of my best friends, Sevy." Belatrix made sure to emphasize best friend, because she knew that Lily was Severus' ex-friend.

Lily stared at Belatrix. "Well, dearie, it appears your blood status is a wee bit off from pureblood. Have fun in the hospital wing, you filthy little mudblood."

Belatrix let out a cackle and waved her wand a Lily. Lily closed her eyes, and put up as many shield spells as she could in her mind.

"Crucio!" Belatrix screamed with delight as Lily crumpled to the ground in pain. It took all her concetration not to scream.

"Why aren't you screaming, mudblood?" Belatrix growled.

"CRUCIO!" She bellowed at Lily, and Lily felt as if 1,000 knifes were being stuck in her at once.

"Cr-"

"ENOUGH!" A voice echoed through her eardrums.

Lily cracked open her eyes to see Belatrix covered in ropes, and a figure with an oversized robe, black hair, and a hooked nose before she everything went black.

A slight humming sound filled her ears. Lily felt someone holding her hand, but she didn't want to pull away; it felt strangly comforting.

"Severus, you should really get going. She's been out for hours. I'll alert you if she awakes." Lily heard Madam Pomfrey murmur.

"Lily?" Severus whisphered. "Are you awake?"

Lily tried to say 'I'm alive!' , but it came out as 'Urgggggggg.'

"Lily?"

Severus gripped her hand tighter. It felt cold and clammy now. He awkwardly released Lily's hand.

Lily cracked one eyelid open.

"Wha-what happened?" Lily's voice sounded hoarse and scratchy to her own ears.

A thudding filled the hall ways, and James came stumbling inside. He frantically scanned the room until he saw her. He rushed to the side of the bed, but then tried to act nonchalant.

"So." He stared at Severus, who widened his eyes at James.

"What are you doing here?" James shot an angry look at Severus. "You do know that Lily hates you?"

"I know that." Severus said, with invisible tears filling his eyes. "But even if she doesn't care for me; I still care for her."

"Get out." James growled. "It's your fault she's here."

"But-I- Okay, fine." Severus stood up, nodded at Madam Pomfrey and rushed out, his cape billowing behind him.

James knelt at the bed side, and murmured softly to Lily. Lily rose-or tried to raise-an eyebrow. Did James actually care for her?

"Nah," she thought to herself, "he's only trying to get me to like him, so he can brag that he's dated every girl at Hogwarts. He's only using me. I'm just another pawn in the Potter Show."

Suddenly, her eyelids fluttered open, and James jumped in his seat in shock.

"Wow, Lily-Flower. No need to scare me!" James yelped, and ran his hand through his hair.

Lily let out a hoarse laugh, but then became quiet after realizing how sick she sounded. James rubbed his thumb along the back of her palm, and grinned when Lily didn't pull away.

"One point for Potter." He quietly murmured to himself.

Lily rose and eyebrow, and held back a giggle.

"No wait, she couldn't like him. Could she?" Conflicting thoughts ran through Lily's head. "It's not his fault that his arrogant personality came with gorgeous hazel eyes."

Internally, Lily slapped herself. What was she thinking? James was her sworn enemy! James would be, and always will be an arrogant toe-rag. He could never change; he already proved that by remaining an annoying bully for five years.

"One point for Potter?" Lily murmured as she fell asleep again.