Chapter 8: Movie Night at Emma's

<------------------- Click here if you've ever thought about biting your dentist's fingers... O.o

Chapter 8

The first week of school was already over. All in all, it had been a good week. Especially in regards to Lizzy.

I am now an official member of Jefferson High’s environmental club. Even more than that: I’m solely responsible for its PR and Marketing, as Lauren put it. Lauren is the club’s president and she was more than excited that I decided to join their little club. And when I say little, I really do mean little. Besides Lauren, it has only two other members: Amy, a junior, and Matt, also a junior. Now I am number four. I didn’t even know that such small clubs exist. And since I’m also writing for our school’s newspaper, I’m the perfect person for making our club and its goals well-known. According to Lauren, that is.

Challenge accepted.

Emma has also been successful and is now part of the drama club crew. They are actually quite an interesting bunch. We decided to spend one of our lunch breaks at their table – all in the spirit of rotating between tables in the cafeteria and getting to know people better. It’s quite a shame, actually, that you have known some people for three years, you have seen them every day in school, and then you realize that you have never really talked to them before and that you don’t know them at all. Good thing that we were going to change that.

The first Lizzy tasks being tackled, Em and I were trying to figure out which one to do next. But right at that moment, we had something more important to figure out: movie movie marathon.

It was Friday night and Aaron, Brian, Dinah, Emma and I have been discussing for over thirty minutes already what we want to do for our movie night. Aaron wanted a comedy marathon, Brian voted for Pirates of the Caribbean or Lord of the Rings, Dinah suggested musicals or documentaries, I really was in the mood for some thriller or horror movies and Em – well, Em is always game for anything as long as it is a movie.

Maybe I should have joined the debate team instead of the environmental club because our discussion was going nowhere. I was getting frustrated. I really didn’t want to spend another thirty minutes or so in Em’s entertainment room discussing which movie to watch instead of actually watching a movie. It was such a waste of time.

Apparently, I wasn’t the only one thinking that.

 “Oh, screw this. Let’s do it mystery-style,” Aaron said, got out of his chair, walked over to the movie shelves, closed his eyes and grabbed a DVD.

The rest of us was quiet and watching Aaron who suddenly had the hugest smile on his face, his blue eyes sparkled with joy. “Ladies, Brian, you are going to worship me! In fact, you will want to worship me so badly, you better start building a little Aaron altar right now.”

He must have picked something good.

“What is it, what is it?” Emma asked, bouncing on her seat a little. The anticipation almost killed her. Patient she is not. You can’t help but wonder how her parents ever survived the weeks before Christmas.

“May I present tonight’s feature film: Little Shop of Horrors!”

Yes!

Dinah, Emma and I squealed with joy. Aaron grinned even more.

“Wait: the one with Jack Nicholson or the eighties version with Rick Moranis?” Emma wanted to know.

“Rick Moranis.”

“Score!” Emma jumped out of her seat and hugged Aaron. What can I say: we love that movie.