Chapter 21: Winter Ball Committee

This chapter is dedicated to the wonderful mccombsl249. She is one of the nicest persons I had the honor of meeting here on wattpad, and she is a great author! In fact, her "My Life"-series is going to get published! And I'm a huge fan of her story "The Samson Brothers". Go check out her work if you haven't already done so. :)

Chapter 21

“Stop it, Sarah,” Em said exasperated. “I know, and you know, we all know that you are going to end up ordering the same thing as always! You always order the chocolate sundae.”

I looked up from the menu I was studying carefully. “I do not. Just so you know, I like to keep my options open. Anyway, you’re wrong. I’ve ordered the Surprise Sundae of the Week several times.”

“Yes, you did,” Aaron agreed. “But only to nag our waitress till she caves in and lists you each and every single ingredient of the surprise sundae, completely ruining the surprise. And then you change everything till you end up with a chocolate sundae anyway.”

All of my friends chuckled.

“Laugh all you want. I’m an ice cream connoisseur and you’re just jealous because I perfected the art of ordering the best ice cream there is,” I let them know while finally closing the menu.

“Whatever,” Em giggled.

“You guys ready to order?” A blond waitress in her forties had approached our favorite table in the corner of Roma, looking at us with a friendly smile.

“Yes,” Brian said and handed her his menu. “One tropical fruit sundae for her,” he pointed at Dinah, “strawberry for her, the same for me,” he continued ordering for Emma and himself, “and chocolate for her.”

He didn’t even ask me what kind of sundae I wanted to order! Sure, I was going to pick the chocolate one, but still. I glared at Brian, crossing my arms in front of my chest.

After a quick glance at me, he added: “Make that extra whipped cream and sprinkles for the chocolate sundae, please.”

Yum, extra sprinkles!

Dinah suddenly giggled. I looked at her questioningly which caused her to giggle even more. Did I miss some kind of joke? Oh well, Dinah sometimes does that – laughing with no apparent reason at all. I chose to ignore it.

“Sorry, I forgot: What do you wanna get, Aaron?” Brian wanted to know.

“I’ll get the Surprise Sundae of the Week,” Aaron replied with a quick glance at me. Our waitress nodded and picked up our menus. As soon as she had turned her back to us, my four friends started laughing.

“Not funny,” I told them, trying my best to look angry. I failed miserably.

“Aw, come on,” my best friend said and poked me in the ribs. “You know it is.” Then she addressed Dinah who was sitting across from her and busy trying to rub out a splatter of green paint out of her blue shirt. “So, Dinah, we never got to discuss it during lunch today. But what’s new with the rumor mill? Did Sarah finally make it to the top with Fluffy?”

Dinah sighed, gave up her shirt-rescue mission and swiftly changed into gossip mode, leaning back against the red padded wall, her eyes lighting up a little. “No, she didn’t.”

“What?” Emma cried out with disbelief. “You’ve gotta be kidding me! What else do you have to do to rank first? A snake, alive and all, in school! Who could have possibly outdone that? And with what?”

“Easy,” Dinah said with a mischievous grin. Her gossip must be good. “Dan Kingsley with throwing around a chair in Mr. Finnegan’s office.”

“What?” –  “You’re joking!” – “He did what?” – “Dan?” We all called out at once.

“Yep,” she confirmed with glee. “Apparently, Dan had a little temper tantrum yesterday. His visit at the Principal’s didn’t go so well. I’ve heard that he got four weeks worth of detention for punching TJ last week. Plus he’s benched for the next two games. And somehow he thought it would be a good idea to throw around a chair to change Mr. Finnegan’s mind.”

I was speechless. That was such a stupid thing to do. Even for Dan Kingsley.

“So, what did he get for throwing that chair around?” Aaron wondered.

“I’m not too sure,” Dinah responded with a thoughtful look on her face. “I think the four weeks plus sitting out two games might already include the chair incident. Anyway, that’s why Fluffy didn’t make such a big splash rumor-wise.”

“Damn,” Emma huffed. “This is going to be a tough one. We’ll have to come up with something epic to earn the gossip crown.” She sighed and turned to me again. “Hey, you never told us why Brad decided to prank Mr. Murdoch! Mind to fill us in?”