mental illness

this is a more serious topic than i've talked about before i realize, but it's also pretty necessary. 

so a week ago, my teacher said something along the lines of, "being depressed is a choice and it's selfish," and just yikes. 

tbh, i constantly feel like mental illness is trivialized and considered as just not a big deal. the most infuriating thing is when someone thinks he/she is being hilarious by making a joke about a mental illness. it's honestly not something to joke about.having a mental illness is not "selfish" and it's not something you can control either.

it just irritates me that almost everyone around me constantly thinks depression or any other mental illness is just not a big deal or an excuse to get out of doing something. hate to burst your bubble, but mental illness is not something you can laugh at or pretend like it's not a big deal. 

obviously, it can't be expected that everyone knows what it's like to have a mental illness, but it really wouldn't kill some people to show a little more compassion about mental illness and to maybe educate themselves before making it the butt of their jokes. 

also related: i can't possibly fathom why people will leave comments like "kill yourself" or things like "you're useless,you slut/whore/etc." i don't care how much you hate that person/video/whatever, either way, it's never never cool to post or say something like that. honestly, can't we just treat each other with respect? do we have to constantly have to bring each other down to feel just a little bit better about ourselves? it's okay to dislike someone/something/etc. but it's not okay to be extremely rude about it. 

okay, i'm done now. sorry i just had to vent, really. 

***

anyways,happy holidays, and happy new year. hope 2016 is a great year for all of you!

meyer.