20 - Peace at last

After a lot of fussing about whether we were okay, what had happened to Lucas or the twins, how the heck had we ended up inside the school when it was locked, Scott and I were able to speak long enough to tell them where they were. Moments later, they were released. We managed to convince our parents to let us all wait at my grandmother's house together rather than separate, especially given the small distance between our houses. I for one found I needed the company after everything. Plus, our parents were bound to ask for a detailed explanation I wasn't sure I could give them alone. Scott didn't let go of my hand the whole time, and I was glad to be able to hold on to it.

When we were home, we took turns taking a warm shower. We all needed it after everything. My mother and grandmother then worked on finding Tommy's parents. From my window, I could see people starting to come back. Apparently a radio and television broadcast had been sent out to announce that Hollybridge was now officially monster-free. I only hoped they were right. Then, came the time to explain. Mum tried to interrupt with questions a few time, but Dad stopped her. When we'd finally finished, Mrs Miller asked:

"You do realise how... crazy this sounds?"

We were sitting in the living room around the chimney, its crackling fire spreading a welcome warmth after the long hours in the cold. Scott and I sat next to each other, and I took comfort in his presence, even though I could sense his mother watching me with an expression I couldn't quite identify. The closest I could think of was a strange mixture of gratitude and disapproval.

"Of course we do." Scott said. "But why would we make something like that? And you must have seen the damage and the mess around here! Or how empty the village is!"

"Well, yes, but..."

"And if Riley hadn't stopped it, we'd probably all be finished by now."

"I wouldn't have needed to stop it if I hadn't caused this in the first place..." I said unhappily.

"It wasn't your fault, how were you supposed to know what that book could do?"

"Where is it, anyway?" Grandma Velma asked.

"In my room," I said. "I left it there when I went to change."

I quickly went up to get it. It tore my heart to do what I was about to, but... It was the best solution I could think. A book like that was too dangerous to leave lying around. If it fell into the wrong hands... I didn't even want to think about the consequences that could have... I found the book on my bed, where I had left it before taking my shower. I had expected it to get damp, somehow in the midst of the commotion, or damaged, but nothing at all.

Picking it up, I tried to see if there was anything different about it. But there wasn't. I turned to leave, when it slipped out of my hand and tumbled to the floor, landing open. I pulled it off the floor and flipped it over. I was about to snap it shut, when something caught my eye. Writing that wasn't mine was had appeared on the pages. Old and curvy, like one saw on seventeenth century letters. How had I not seen it before?

Or maybe... it wasn't there, before... I thought.

I turned my attention to the inscription. The writing was old, and the language as well, so it wasn't always easy to understand. And as I read it, my jaw dropped. It couldn't be... but... it was plain as day. And it explained everything that had happened...

"Riley, dear, is everything all right?" called my grandmother's voice.

"Uh... yes, everything's fine, I'll be right down, grandma!" I replied.

I closed the book, still unable to believe what I had read. I wasn't even sure I could trust it. And a book that old couldn't have lasted this long without damage... except if... this whole thing was giving me a headache, so I tried not to think about it as I went back down. And if it was true, then what I had in mind was even more necessary than I'd thought.

"There you are." Dad said.

"Yeah... I was just... mentally preparing," I said.

"For what?" Mum asked.

"For this," I answered.

I lifted the book and threw it into the fire. Scott gasped, and looked at me with huge eyes. Immediately, the flames gnawed at the paper as the leather turned black and shrank.

"But... why..."

"I'll explain later," I told him. "But it's for the best."

Mrs Miller got to her feet, looking coldly in my direction.

"Well, thank you for your hospitality, but I think it's time we headed home. Scott, girls, come on, we're leaving."

"Not so fast, Valerie," my mother said coolly.

She got up too. Scott and I glanced from them to one another. I had no idea what was going on, and judging from Scott's expression, he didn't appear to, either.

"I believe we need to talk." Mum continued. "I'm sure you noticed how our children enjoy spending time together."

Valerie's eyes narrowed.

"Well, yes... what about it?"

"What about it?" My mothet repeated, standing up too, "We don't like the way you seem to look at our daughter, that's what. I fail to understand what you could possibly have against her. And if you do, I would appreciate to explain what it is."

Mrs Miller looked at us all one by one, her eyes moving too quickly to be natural. Her lips were thin, her face white with anger.

"Your daughter is a terrible influence on my son, that's what. Look at the mess she got him into! And what about the last three years with no contact at all? Then, she just waltzes in like he belongs to her!"

"That's enough from you, Mum!" Scott snapped.

The anger vanished off Valerie's face. She gaped at her son, her mouth hanging open.

"You have no idea of the risks Riley took to protect us!" Scott. She spent an entire night outside with her brother to keep him safe when he broke his leg! She seriously endangered her health harnessing abilities she barely knew how to use, and she was ready to face them all alone to get the book while leaving us somewhere safe!"

I was unable to speak or move. I was not sure I could even breathe, at this point.

"So no, she may not be perfect. But who is? She did unknowingly conjure the monsters. But she made every possible effort to fix her mistake. And considering the idiots you always wanted me to be friends with, I'm not sure I trust you when it comes to bad influences. Because Riley is a lot of things, but that is definitely not one of them."

He took my hand.

"And you're so busy with what you want me to do that you don't even think about what I want. And what I want is to be with Riley."

He suddenly paused, his expression turning hesitant as he looked at me.

"I mean... only if you..."

I smiled, touched his cheek and kissed him. A child's laughter outside interrupted us.

"Hey, why don't we all go outside and play in the snow?" Scott offered.

"Yeah!" the younger ones cried.