3 - Reunion

At long last, the car stopped. Lucas had eventually dozed off, but I could almost never sleep in cars. It had snowed in London, but it was nothing like here, I noticed. It was just like I remembered. The houses, the small streets, the trees... It was a little more snowed over than the last time, but it still looked the same.

It was still light as I got out, but it would be growing dark soon. We'd timed our journey that way precisely to avoid driving in the dark in this weather. It was quite bad enough in the daytime, my parents said.

"It brings back a lot of memories, being back here, doesn't it, Riley?" Dad said behind as he heaved a sleeping Lucas out of the car.

"... Yeah," I admitted, though I couldn't quite decide if they were good or bad.

Life in London had always been so different... It was to be expected, of course, but still.

"Can you help me with the bags, sweetie?" Mum called from the back of the car.

"Oh... yeah, coming, Mum."

Just then, the front door opened and Grandma Velma came towards her, wrapped in a thick woolly shawl. She was an elderly woman with greying hair, hunched with age but still impressively nimble, in my opinion. And she made a wonderful chocolate pie. In fact, I thought I could smell it from outside.

"Oh, there you are!" she cried happily. "It's so nice to see you!"

"Hello, Mum," Mum smiled, giving her a one arm hug.

"My, that looks rather heavy, d'you want me to take that?" Grandma offered.

"Oh, no, thank you, Mum, I've got it," Mum said, quickly walking inside.

I secretly agreed. If it was heavy for Mum, it might break Grandma's arm. Dad greeted her politely then headed inside to put Lucas to bed.

"There's my favourite granddaughter!" she exclaimed, marching towards me.

"Hi, Grandma," I said, forcing a smile.

I was still annoyed that we hadn't just stayed in London, but it wasn't Grandma Velma's fault. And I wasn't cruel. If I showed my displeasure, It was sure to hurt her feelings, and I didn't want that. But I could have done without the sharp pinching of my cheeks.

"Oh, you've grown so big! You look wonderful, dear!" she cooed.

"Thanks, Grandma, but don't you think I'm a bit past the cheek pinching?"

"Oh, poppycock!" she chuckled, pinching one of my cheeks again.

I waited for her to turn back into the house before letting out my sigh. This was going to be a really long Christmas. Shivering slightly in spite of my warm coat, I turned to the car and began pulling a couple of bags out. The second one proved heavier than I'd thought, however, so I set one down and tried using my second hand. But still, it wasn't budging.

"Want some help with that?" a voice asked behind me.

I jumped and turned around.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I saw you arrive and thought you might want some help."

"Uh..."

I took the newcomer in. Tall, wearing a thick coat and scarf, he was smiling at me.

"Thanks," I say, picking up the bag I'd put down. "I'm Riley."

"I know," he said.

I froze, staring at him.

"You... do?"