12 - Ice encounter

I could hear nothing except the growling and heavy footsteps, with the occasional crashing of rubble or rock. I held on tightly to Lucy's hand – or Mary's, I couldn't look to be sure –, and she gripped her sister's. We hurried behind the houses, trying to stay out of sight. At least the creatures were no bigger than the houses, which meant they couldn't see over them.

"Whatever happens, stay close to me," I whispered to the girls. "And do exactly as I say, understand? If I tell you to hide, you hide. If I say run, you run. All right?"

They nodded, trembling and pale-faced. It took all my willpower to keep them from seeing how scared I was. They needed me to be strong. I needed myself to be strong. I peered round corners, trying to find signs of human presence.

I hadn't seen Riley or Lucas for a while, and I hoped they were okay. I'd heard Riley cry out a while back, but it had been too dangerous for me to go check on them. And I had my own sisters to worry about, I couldn't leave them, even for a minute.

"What are we going to do, Scott?" Lucy's scared voice asked behind me.

I ran my hand through my messy hair, trying to think. We were out of sight for now, but I was pretty sure it wouldn't keep us safe for long.

"We have to see if there are others stuck in the village," I finally decided. "Come on... stay quiet and follow me."

It was a scary experience, having to cross the village while keeping out of sight. I kept looking over my shoulder, positive I'd been or would be seen. It was like having to split my mind in two. One part to watch the monsters, the other to keep an eye open for people hiding in the houses. So far, there was no sign of anyone. Aside from the growling and thud of their footsteps, there was not a sound to be heard, except perhaps the pounding in my ears and my sisters' shaky breaths.

Some of the lights had been forgotten in the commotion. Some windows were broken, some roofs had lost a corner, leaving snow and tiles littering the floor. I just hoped those who hadn't weren't also hiding inside. I didn't see how I could look without being found or drawing attention to them if they were. We would just have to hope for the best...

I peered round a building. The monsters just ambled about, going in no particular direction. I watched them a moment, trying to figure out if they were looking for something or not. I couldn't for the life of me think what it was if they were, though.

I was just trying to find a safe path forward, when suddenly, something caught my eye that made me stop dead.

"Mummy?" called a small voice. "Mummy, where are you?!"

The twins gasped behind me, and I knew their faces well enough to know they were staring with the same pale, wide-eyed expressions I had. There, across the street, was a little boy. He looked barely seven years old, especially with his Superman pyjamas. His face was wet from tears, and he was clutching a red lion. He stepped hesitantly forwards, clutching his toy against his chest.

"Mummy!" he called again.

I wanted to tell him to be quiet, but it would automatically alert the monsters. But if he didn't shut up soon, they would find him. I heard a growl, and my eyes darted to the right. To my horror, an ice monster had heard and was turning round. Biting my lip, I turned to the twins.

"Get down and don't move!" I hissed.

They crouched behind a barrel and stayed still. It was far from foolproof, but it would have to do, for now. I looked at the boy, who was still stepping into the open. The ice monster had turned away again, probably having not seen the boy because he was so small. Whispering as loudly as I dared, I said:

"Hey! Get back! Stay there!"

But he didn't appear to have heard me. He saw me, however, and said:

"D'you know where my Mummy is?"

And then, he did exactly what I was afraid he'd do. He walked towards me.

"No, don't!" I hissed, trying not to let myself panic.

But it was too late. A rumbling sound made me glance at the ice monster. He had paused, and this time, he turned around faster. And there was no way he wouldn't see the little boy this time... and sure enough...

"Rooaar!" the ice monster snarled.

I heard a faint cry of terror from beside me and the sound of hands clapping to a mouth. I didn't turn my head and tried to get the boy to run.

"Run!" I told him desperately. "Get out of here!"

But he didn't hear me. He was staring up at the monster, rooted to the spot. His eyes were so big I was almost certain they'd pop out any second. They gleamed, and his lip trembled violently. He took a few shaky steps back, making the monster roar. He was positively crying, now. But this ice monster didn't seem to even notice. He growled again, then raised his large square fist, pointing it right at the boy.

I clenched my fists so hard even my non-existent nails dug into my palms. I couldn't risk my sisters, but I couldn't let that boy be killed either.

"Oh, sod it!" I grumbled.

I threw myself into the open, grabbed the boy and leaped aside just as half a dozen shards of ice hit the ground behind us. I darted round the corner to where my sisters were hiding.

"You okay?" I asked the boy.

His face was wet and his nose was running, but he nodded.

I sighed. The poor thing had to be terrified.

"It's okay... come here."

I pulled him against me and rubbed his back soothingly, the way I used to do with the twins when they were upset. I could feel him sobbing into my shoulder.

"There... shh... it's okay..."

I kept waiting for the ice monster to crash through the walls of the house we were using for cover and chase us. But perhaps they weren't too bright or only reacted to movement the way some animals did... unless... were those footsteps coming... towards us?!

ROAAAAAR! The monster raised a huge ice club high above his head.

"Run!" I called to the twins.

They jumped to their feet and followed me just as the club hit the ground with an ear-splitting crash that sent tremors through the ground. I'd had no time to hoist the boy onto my back so I'd tried to hold him securely across my front. His legs were too tight around my waist and his arms were squeezing my neck, but I couldn't blame him. With roars sending shivers down our spines, we shot off towards the other side of the village.