Chapter 4: Who is Stephen Chester?

STEPHEN

The alarm bell rang and it was again a beginning of a normal day. Another day with all those people who I come across every day in my office and call them "friends". But today I felt a little happy as the year was ending and Christmas was around the corner. I've never felt Christmassy since I killed my step father when I was 17. I kind of miss my old family days when everything was normal. Doctors usually define people like me as "psychopaths", they also say that we are born in this way, we can't change. Well in my case I was born as a normal boy in a normal family with normal people around.

Once upon a time, there was a mommy and a daddy. Daddy was good but he drank like a fish. Mommy was sweet but couldn't taste his bitter words. So just like any normal family we too had fights.

I remember my 5th Birthday when everyone was so happy.

"Happy Birthday Stephen! You're going to be someone great someday" said mom when she blew my birthday candles. I miss her to be honest. People like me don't usually have feelings but I am one of a kind. I bet what my mom didn't realize that day was, that I was going to be the one to kill her second husband with a fork on Thanksgiving Dinner and pulling out his right eyeball.

My name is Stephen Chester, I work in a small office in Sukhumvit Road, Thailand, I am a marketing production manager and I need to kill people to satisfy my urges and feel calm from all the tension and the pulse. Not a normal office going twenty year old person, Am I?

I was normal once when my parents were together. My father was in an ICU because of a motorbike accident, and I loved both of my parents, although the first person I ever killed was my own biological father as he asked me to. He was on ventilation, it was no way he was getting better, He didn't wanted to spend the rest of his life by being a liability to me and mom.

"Please pull that plug out Stephen, I need your help"  I was seven back then and I didn't know what would happen if I pulled the plug out, but I did as he'd asked me to, after that he smiled and said "Thank you"

And he was gone. A normal seven year old seeing his own father die right before his eyes isn't a pretty view trust me. After that we shifted to another city and my mom got remarried to this rich brat who would hit her every day and I had to watch the whole thing. I was too weak to do anything. I could just hear her scream each night with agony and pain as he whipped her. And the next morning she would make me get ready for school and act as if nothing happened the previous night. That rage was quickly building up inside me and I couldn't find a way to calm myself. My school mates were really friendly and I pretended to be quite friendly too whereas I just wanted to kill them with my pencil sometimes when they talk about their "perfect parents".

One day I was coming back from school and just imagining my mom getting beaten up by this man whom she claims she loves. "Is that what love is? Getting beaten up by someone and not doing anything about it? " I thought to myself. I reached the neighbor's house as I was walking and their dog started to bark real loud. For some time I tried to calm myself but I just couldn't. The picture of my mom beaten up each night came on my mind, her screams with agony were ringing on my ears. Her bruises each day getting darker and darker, her smile fading away day after day, And I just couldn't take all that anymore, I took a sharp marble stone I found just right there as if god has placed that perfect sharp stone just for my use. I took the stone and silenced the dog when no one was around. I crushed that little dogs head with the stone, It's blood was all over my navy blue shirt and I felt so calm and relaxed. I never felt that calm ever until then. Like the whole world stopped for a second just to let me breath and enjoy my moment, I could feel the warm summer breeze flowing through my hair and the beautiful red blood all over me. I liked it and that was when my demon was born. The demon that now is my only friend and ever will be.