Welcome to Hollywood

4. Welcome to Hollywood

When I woke up the next morning I instantly curled up under the sheets, embarrassed when I thought of last night. I never showed my emotions like that. After a quick glance at the clock I realized that it was past 9 already. That meant that Sally and Mia would be in school. I wondered if Kathie was home again, or even Lucas. I listened but could hear no sounds in the house, so I eventually crawled out of bed and under the shower. After I was ready I went downstairs into the kitchen.

I didn’t see anyone in there either, but after a few seconds I heard a voice behind me. “Hey, good morning? What’s that?” Lucas asked as he tapped me on the shoulder. I blushed. I had decided on only a jeans and a tank top since it was very warm outside already and with my shoulders exposed Lucas had seen my tattoo.

“Good morning.” I said as I turned around to face him. He was wearing jeans and a simple button-up with the sleeves rolled up. “Just a tattoo.” I replied, shrugging.

***

When Alex came down into the living room I got up from my reading chair on the porch and went inside. As I walked behind Alex I noticed a tattoo on her left shoulder. It was a the outline of a butterfly in thin black and red lines, inside the butterfly the words “surrender to nothing” were written in black… it looked unique, very artistic. I had never seen a tattoo like that before. I actually liked it. It fit Alex.

“Good morning. What’s that?” I asked her and tapped on her shoulder. Alex blushed, looking down. “Good morning. Just a tattoo.” She replied. I smiled. “It looks nice. What’s the motif? I’ve never seen it before.” Alex smiled softly. “It was done by a British artist, Banksy. It is actually part of a work by him. I just took one of the butterflies out of it and modified it slightly. I always liked it.” She explained. I nodded. “Why a black butterfly?” I wanted to know. Alex shrugged again. “I don’t know, it seemed fitting, somehow. Hard to explain. But I liked it then and I still do.” She said. I grinned. “And the text?” Alex smiled. “It’s out of a song by my favorite band. And it reminds me to never give up.” I nodded. I was no huge fan of tattoos, but Alex’s had a personal meaning and I liked it.

***

“You slept okay?” he asked after a few moments. I nodded, not wanting to discuss anything that happened last night. “So, erm… how about some breakfast?” Lucas offered. I grinned, happy about the change of topics. “Yeah, sure… Can I help you? Or, I can get myself something, if you tell me where everything is…” Lucas shook his head. “Nonsense, sit down and tell me what you want.” He said jokingly. “O..okay…” I mumbled after a minute. “Erm, where is everyone, Kathie, I mean?” I asked as I sat down. 

Lucas turned around again, silently asking me if I wanted juice of coffee. “Kathie had to run some errands. She brought the kids to school and met some people in the city…” he said, but I got the feeling there was more behind it. “What’s up? You’re not telling me everything, are you? I mean, will I see Kathie on Oprah tonight or what?” I tried to joke, but Lucas immediately looked guilty.

“No way.” I mumbled. Lucas grinned sheepishly. “Well, not Oprah, but Jimmy Kimmel, yeah…” he admitted finally. I choked on my cornflakes at that, my eyes nearly bulging out of my head. “What?” I finally managed to say. Lucas sighed. “I will tell you everything from now on, Alex. I don’t want to keep any secrets. This will maybe not always be easy. I mean, it takes a while getting used to it all.” I could only nod. I had no real idea what that meant. Living Lucas’ life. “I have the day off. I thought we could spend it together. Talk about a few things, I show you a little bit of the city?” I smiled. “Okay. Yeah, that sounds great.” I said. Lucas smiled. “Good. I hope you’re up to face LA...” He said to me. I grinned. “Yeah, I think so…” I replied, grinning.