Chapter Ten

"So, you having any fun?" Shikamaru asked, watching Kaede make her way over to the punch table.

Kaede poured herself some punch before finishing it in record time, slamming the cup down with a loud sigh. "I should be asking you that…" she mumbled.

"I asked you first," Shikamaru countered.

"I asked you second."

Shikamaru sighed in annoyance. "You're not gonna turn this conversation into another one of your pointless arguments are you?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, sure I'm having a good time. Minus the fact that my throat is killing me from all that Karaoke Ino talked me into doing." Kaede rubbed her throat.

Shikamaru merely shrugged his shoulders, pouring himself a glass before taking a sip. "Well, you know what they say; it's your party, you can cry if you want to."

Kaede couldn't help but smile a little hearing him say that. 'You took the words right out of my mouth, guess great minds think alike after all…' she thought with a small chuckle to herself, albeit loud enough for Shikamaru to hear.

"What's so funny?" Shikamaru frowned.

Kaede shook her head, waving her hand dismissively. "It's nothing…" she reassured him.

"Anyway, I… wanted to talk to you about something."

"Y-You did?" Kaede stared at him in surprise at his sudden change of tone. "Talk about what Shikamaru?"

Shikamaru stayed silent for a moment, both of his hands shoved in his pockets. His hand clutched onto the small gift he was planning to give to Kaede.

'Guess it's now or never…' Shikamaru took a deep breath before sighing under his breath.

"Yeah I—"

"Okay everyone, listen up!" Ino's voice interrupted.

'What perfect timing…' he thought snorting under his breath.

"Sakura and I decided to make this party more interesting and… play Seven Minutes in Heaven! Are there any objections?"

Most of them either didn't care, or was just flat out tired of all the karaoke so they all eventually agreed.

"Hey, don't go making up people's minds for them Ino…" Shikamaru suddenly spoke up with a frown.

"Fine, we'll let the birthday girl decide then! How about it Kaede-chan?" Ino asked, staring at her with a grin.

Kaede looked over at Shikamaru who was giving her a look that implied 'Please don't…'

'Sorry, I'll only end up facing both Ino and Sakura's wrath if I don't agree with them.' She smiled sympathetically at him, before nodding her head.

"Sure, why not?"

"It's unanimous, we're all playing then!" Ino shouted victoriously.

Shikamaru looked over at Kaede with a frown and she just smiled sheepishly, mouthing a soft 'sorry' to him, but he ignored it..

"Alright then, Kaede—"

"I'll go first!" Naruto volunteered with a wide grin, reaching into the bowl full of names Sakura held out.

Sakura frowned, smacking his hand away causing him to yelp in pain. "Wait your turn Naruto, Kaede goes first."

"You could've just said so in the first place Sakura-chan…" Naruto whined, rubbing his throbbing red hand.