Chapter Twenty Five

Author Note: Okay, I know this is late, but apparently Ino's mother actually made an appearance in a filler episode of Naruto Shippuden. And she hasn't been given a proper name. Neither the anime nor I have given her a name. I figured since she's making another appearance in my story, I should at least give her one. Unless stated otherwise by Kishimoto, her name will be Shizuka Yamanaka. Other than that, enjoy the story everyone! And have a safe & happy Holiday! ^-^

........................................................................................................................................

Kaede stared at her tea with a glazed expression, watching the steam rise from her cup.

'So, Sayu's real name is Yasu…' Kaede sighed under her breath. Since overhearing the truth about Yasu a few days ago, their last conversation wouldn't stop echoing in the back of her mind.

"Does that mean… the way you were acting around me was part of the get-up too? Was it all an act?"

"N-No, of course not!" Yasu quickly shook his head. "I really do like you Kaede!"

'Even though he sounded genuine, it's harder for me to trust anything else he says now. I'm not even sure I want to know what else he could be hiding or lying about.' Kaede lifted the cup to her lips before she took a slow sip of her tea.

"Morning, Kaede," Ino sat down at the kitchen table across from Kaede and smiled. "You glad the Chūnin Exams are finally starting today?"

"Yeah, I guess." Kaede set down her cup of tea.

"You guess?" Ino knitted her brows. "I figured you'd be relieved that the exams are finally starting after all this waiting and preparation we've been doing, especially with that festival that's coming up afterwards. Which reminds me; I gotta remember to ask Sai-kun if he's planning on going with anyone to the festival."

"I've just… had a lot on my mind this past weekend. That's all." Kaede looked off to the side when she noticed a mischievous glint appear in Ino's eyes. A look she unfortunately knew all too well.

"Really, do tell." Ino laced her fingers together and rested her chin on top of them. "This wouldn't happen to have anything to do with Sayu, would it?"

"Well, the thing is…" Kaede began, but abruptly cut herself off as Ino's mother, Shizuka, entered the kitchen.

"Good morning girls." Shizuka smiled.

"Good morning," Ino and Kaede returned the greeting.

"You two are up earlier than usual." Shizuka chuckled as she poured herself a cup of tea.

"Shizune-sensei wants the medical ninja helping with the Chūnin Exams to come in a little early today. She's going to brief us over some last minute instructions. Our work for the exams doesn't really start until the third stage begins, which is the stage where shinobi who've survived the Forest of Death compete against each other in a tournament. So it's sort of a normal work day for us until then." Kaede explained.

"I see, well that makes sense. Would you two like some breakfast before you go?" Shizuka offered.

"Sure, sounds great." Ino smiled at her mother before she turned to Kaede and lowered her voice. "Okay, now what's this about Sayu?"

"I'll tell you later, Ino." Kaede waved off Ino's question with her hand.

"Aw, not this again Kaede," Ino pouted. "Why can't you just tell me now?"

"I promise I'll tell you later, okay?"

Thankfully, the doorbell rang before Ino could prod any answers out of Kaede.