L is for..... Labels

The guy didn’t look at me, or even move his head. Okay, I was being pathetic, he probably hadn’t even realised I’d walked in the room for gods sake! Mrs Andrews went round to her side of the desk and sat down.

“So Mrs Stevenson, this is Callie. Callie this is Lucus Stevenson. I thought you could be his school parent for this term, until he gets his feet. Lucus, Callie is one of our more…influential students, so I’m sure she’ll be able to make you fit in right away.” Explained Mrs Andrews.

I could not believe she’d used the word ‘influential’. Of course this was her plan to give me a responsibility and try to make me ‘calm down’ as she puts it. Little does she know that I am not the person to be around right now.

“Of course Mrs Andrews, pleased to meet you Lucas” I replied in a sickly sweet tone. I saw Lucas smirk, he obviously wasn’t fooled by my fake front.

“Wonderful!” she exclaimed. “Now, Mrs Stevenson, I’ll just take you to the reception to finish some forms, and Callie if you could stay here for a minute, why don’t you and Lucas get acquainted?”

I grimaced, this was the last thing I needed, I was sure she wanted to ‘talk’ to me. I watched as Lucas and his mother exchanged goodbyes. I sat in a chair and waited until the head had closed the door, then I turned to the guy sat next to me.

“Why did you ignore me yesterday?” I asked him right away. He looked slightly taken aback.

“You know, normally the proper way of introducing yourself is saying hi.” He chuckled.

He had dark sandy coloured blonde hair, and his gazing blue eyes were full of adventure. He was here, right in front of me, but he still seemed mysterious. He had on a t-shirt underneath an unbuttoned shirt. Through the t-shirt you could see a well toned body.

“You know when you’ve finished checking me out, we could start again.” He said in soft country accent and grinning at me. Damn he’d caught me. I felt myself blushing but shook my new hair and it soon went.

“Fine!” I said, “Hi, I’m going to be your guide around school, much to my luck” I said sarcastically.

“Great.” He grinned, “You know, you could look a little happier, after you checked me out I’m sure there must be a smile in there somewhere?” He smirked.

I almost gagged, he was fucking full of himself! He was starting to get on my nerves.

Soon Mrs Andrews came back, I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to see the head in my life! She let us go with a few…choice words that were obviously directed at me.

I huffed as I left and walked into the corridor. It was still lunchtime so most people were outside. New guy or not I had stuff to do, people to see. He would just have to tag along.

I walked towards the ‘popular’ group. They were easy to find, always located in the centre of the green under the largest tree. Some of the girls were lying down soaking up the last of the summer rays that had broken through during the morning before it turned back to major fake tan season.

Some of the people did a double take as I walked through; Lizzie, Dana, Tess and Stacey were together. They stood up as I walked to the middle of the group.

“Hey, you aren’t welcome here anymore” Lizzie spat, “Poor Simon was so distressed last night” She glared.

I looked over at where Simon was enjoying the company of another blonde girl. When I say enjoying I mean, ‘OMG, get a room!’

“I think he’s over it” I shrugged, “Anyway, she can have him. Who needs a twat like that” I laughed, “Enjoy him honey, just don’t be too shocked when you see how small his dick is!” I called over. The girl glared and I saw a figure move in my side vision.

Dana pushed me backwards right into Lucus, “Seems it didn’t take a slut like you long to move on. Changing your hair doesn’t change who you are.” She sneered looking at me like dirt on her shoe,

“Well at least I have taste and don’t get knocked up ever month.” I said sweetly.

That made her angry. She shoved me back again, trying to slap me and grab my hair. She may have had some shots but so did I. I felt someone’s strong arms pulling me away. I was ready to run in again as soon as I was put down, but I found myself being swung over someone’s shoulder. Of course I recognised it as Lucus. “PUT ME DOWN!” I screamed kicking and hitting his back. I felt the blood rushing to my head and pressure on my stitches. “Ow” I cried out. She must have grabbed my hair right where the stitches were. He set me on my feet and when I put my hand to my head I felt warm wet blood on my fingers. “Dammit!” I growled.

There were people running over and to my surprise one of them was Caden. “Callie?” He asked, “Are you okay? I saw her pull your stitches” He said in concern.

I showed him my hand. He looked at Lucus, “Thanks for pulling her out” He nodded.

“Hey, no sweat. I’m Lucus by the way, Callie is my school guide.” He smiled holding out his hand.

The group looked from me to Lucus and back again. “You!?” Austin, one of Caden’s mates, said. We’d known each other for years; he was like another annoying brother. “But…she asked you?” He repeated.

Lucus looked completely confused. I shook my head.

Caden followed suit, “Come on, never mind that, lets get you to the nurse” He sighed putting his arm around me and leading me inside.

“I’m the group joke aren’t I” I mumbled to the guys, they looked in different directions confirming my assumption. “Well, no-one can say I live a straight forward life” I laughed half-heartedly trying to lighten the mood. I had a horrid feeling Caden had told them about the vodka incident which must have almost looked like a suicide attempt. 

After being patched up by the nurse, literally, I made my way back into the corridors. Caden and his group had moved off once I was in matron’s room, but Lucus was still there.

“You know, you could have taken up the offer to go with them if you wanted” I shrugged. Lucus shook his head. We went down the corridor as the halls started to fill. We found his locker and I changed my books for the next lesson.

Did I mention that I hated school?

We walked to the next class. Religious Studies, i.e. free lesson. It’s so boring and the teacher has no control, so it’s more of a ‘do what you want’ lesson. Mr Coleshill tried his best effort to get us to do work, but I swear he was scared of us. I sat down as Lucus sat next to me.

“So…how about you tell me about yourself?” I asked absentmindedly while doodling on my notebook. I wasn’t really interested, just making small talk.

“Oh, you know…usual stuff.” He shrugged, “You?”

I looked at him blankly, “You didn’t tell me anything!” I exclaimed.

He chuckled, “Where is the law stating I have to?” He questioned.

I groaned and pulled out my I-pod, listening to my favourite music for the rest of the lesson.

By the end of the day I was exhausted and pissed off. I walked out of school to my car. Caden came running over, “Hey sis, can I catch a lift? I had a lift in, so no car.”

I threw him the keys knowing what an awful backseat driver he was. Lucus waved me goodbye and I watched him gaze after the car until we were out of sight.

“That guy gives me the creeps” I shivered, Caden just laughed.

“You like him.” He teased. My scowl was enough to make him shut up.

“Can you drop me at the cliffs?” I asked him as we rounded the corner. Caden agreed and waved as he carried on home.

I took a deep breath of sea air and then proceeded to the cliff edge. It was so calm and peaceful, only the crashing of the distant waves below disturbing it, but even they were soothing. I closed my eyes. Here I could dream, be myself. I pulled out my I-pod and put on Newton Faulkner’s dream catch me. I closed my eyes singing softly and quietly to the lyrics. The only thing was, when I closed my eyes I saw…Lucus. My eyes snapped open. I sat on the ground leaned against the fence and closed my eyes again.