six

s i x 

I still remember the day John hired me. It was my first week back and Katherine thought it would be a good idea to throw a party to welcome me home. The usually empty house was now bursting at the seams with people I vaguely remembered, or simply pushed back to the furthest corners of my memory. Katherine had gone from my estranged and worried aunt, who'd accepted me back into her household out of the goodness of her heart to hostess extraordinaire, who made sure my outfit was prim and proper upon the arrival of our first guest - who's name is still a mystery to me. 

          "Oh Carter, look at you! You're all grown up," 

          "You're the spitting image of your mum aren't you," 

          "We've really missed you around here, haven't we Steve?" 

I remember standing amongst crowds of people smiling at me and offering me drinks, all the while their eyes held nothing but curiosity. My little sister stood at my side, chatting up the neighbours about how absolutely elated she was to have me home. Needless to say, the entire time, instead of paying attention to conversations I was a part of, I was trying to figure out how my sisters vocabulary had suddenly gone from silly schoolgirl to university level. In hindsight, I was probably quite a site. Not because I was all grown up, not because I was wearing a ridiculous dress ; but because I must have looked so pathetically lost. 

I ran into John on my way to my room, I'd told my aunt I was only headed up to fetch something but in reality I wasn't planning on coming down for at least a week. I was still sore, tired and jet lagged from my trip and making conversation while pretending I knew who I was talking to was no where near the cure for my condition. But seeing John was both a gift and a curse. I couldn't forget John, not even if I wanted to. He was the first face in two hours that I actually fully recognized. Unlike everyone else, he actually felt like home. So without my sister at my side to fill in the blank spots, I spoke to him. He didn't treat me like fragile china and all his answers were genuine. It was the best  conversation I'd had all day. 

And that's how I ended up with a job. 

          "And where exactly do you think you're going?" 

So close. 

My shoulders slumped and I had to bite my tongue to keep the groan from escaping my lips. I haden't even heard her walk in - we needed to get her a bell or something. With my back facing her, I considered pretending to not have heard her and just walk out. No, that would definitely make everything worse. My fingers inches away from the door knob, I let my hand fall to my sides before turning to face her. 

      "I have work," It wasn't a lie, it was the wholehearted truth. So then why did I feel so bloody nervous? 

         "It's a Sunday." she countered, raising a perfectly plucked eyebrow. 

       "John doesn't believe in day offs, goes against his religion he says." This is also true. At the mention of the possibility of closing the shop, my boss scoffs and starts muttering under his breath about the absurdity of the idea. Why close the shop when it could be open? 

He doesn't seem to grasp the idea that unlike him, some of his employees have lives outside the shop. Well, not me, but still. 

        "Typical John," my aunt agrees - which is never a good sign. "So, just out of curiosity, how busy do you expect to be today?" 

The question itself was simple, innocent even. The double standard though, that's what was tricky. See, with my aunt things were never black and white. She was a master at talking her way out of tricky situations, a skill that she flaunts at our expense. It may seem like she was asking the question as a concerned aunt, only looking out for my well being. But seeing as lately I've been under strict surveillance with her as my warden, I've learned to know better.