Weak in The Knees

Hey! I realized my chapters were a little short, so this one will be longer! Enjoy!

-Akumal

--------------------------------------

Past

______________

Chapter 4

My feet thumped hard on the wooden stairs. I cannot believe I slept this late! I couldn't miss Alana's competition! Well, it was her fault in the first place. If she hadn't forgotten to practice (and boy did she need it) then maybe I wouldn't have been pushing my muscles to the limit all week trying to help her.

I didn't even make it to the bottom before my clumsy legs gave way and I went tumbling down. My head bashed backwards into one of the steps while my arms flailed through the air, trying to grab a hold of something. Just before I was about to hit the floor, my right hand found the stair railing and I stopped myself. I was now lying on my back, my feet almost halfway up the stairwell. And my head was now pounding with pain.

My mom came rushing in from her room at the bottom of the stairs to see what all the noise was about. I gave her a weak smile as she started to pull me to my feet from my awkward position. "What was all that about?" She asked me with a worried expression.

I winced. "Ah, my legs kinda slipped. I'm just so sore-" I fell into my mother's arms. My left leg hurt terribly, like no pain I had ever experienced before. I tried to let go of her but she held onto me, refusing to let go. "Mom, I'm fine. Let go." I winced again as I attempted to apply pressure to the leg.

"Sweety, I think we need to take you to the hospital. You look like you're in a lot of pain!" She carefully attempted to put my arm around her shoulder so my "wounded" leg was in between us. Working as if we were connected, I began hoping slowly on my right foot in time with her stepping. I decided just not to argue, I was just in too much pain. The burning sensation started in my ankle and spread all the way up to my knee, even when I wasn't applying pressure. It was safe to say this truly sucked.

Through teamwork, we were able to get my into the passenger seat of my mom's car. As she got in the driver's seat, I took out my phone in order to text Alana and tell her I didn't think I was going to make it. She replied fairly quickly:

Alana: What happened?

Me: I tripped.

Alana: Details? You need a valid reason for missing my competition here!

Me: Me being me, I tripped and did a few somersaults down the stairs.

Alana: Oh my god! Kai, you are such a klutz sometimes. Are you ok?

Me: Um, not really. My left leg is in so much pain right now. If I couldn't see it I'd say it's on fire.

Alana: Geez, that's a bummer. Now I'll have Akoni all to myself :P

My hands froze up. Akoni was going to be there? Oh. My. Gosh. I was going to die. Alana and I both liked him, as did like everyone else in Hawaii. There was no way I could miss the chance to actually talk to him. He was like the hottest guy ever. Then I remembered my leg.

Me: I will kill you if you talk to him before I can.

Alana: Sucks to be you! Kisses, gtg!

Now I was a little bit mad. Not at Alana, but the situation. I attempted to shift my stiff leg, then decided it was best not to and let the pins and needles come.

********************************

"Well, the good news is, it's not broken or even sprained. Just badly bruised." The doctor rubbed a section of my left leg (I winced) and my right (sore, ouch). The doctor noted my reaction on his clipboard and then looked back at my mom, refusing to look at me. I hated it when grown ups did that. Like they were pretending the kids weren't even there. I was almost 15 for Christ's sake.

"Has Kona Kai been doing any vigorous activities that caused her muscles to be sore?" My jaw tightened. I held back my comment about his statement. I prefered Kai, not my full first name. I had already informed him of this twice.

"Yes, she's been surfing all week to help her friend practice for her competition." My mom glanced at me, as if checking to see if I was still alright.

With a quick note on his clipboard, the doctor clicked his pen. He finally turned to me. "I would advise you simply stay off of it for a few days, a week at the most. Simply so it can heal faster and you can continue your surfing." He turned away from me again and said to my mom, "Ok! All set! See you in October!"

************************************

When I got back in the car, I checked my phone for any texts from Alana. Sure enough, there was one:

Alana: Good news! I got second place! All thanks to you!!! :D

Good. At least I got some recognition.

Me: Awesome! And thanks, sorry I couldn't be there.

Alana: What's the scoop?

Me: Ah, my leg's just bruised. I have to stay off it for a few days.

Alana: Aw, that sucks! No surfing?

Me: Nope. :(

Alana: That's awful! I'll stop by later to see you, but for now I gotta go give my kisses to Akoni!

Me: Hahahahahahahahah NO.

Alana: Jk, jk! maybe. bye!

Ah, Alana thought she was so funny. But if she was serious I would freaking kill her. So she better be lying.

------------------------------------

Past

_____________

Comment some ideas for me! Was that a good chapter length? I'm really trying here! Oh, and if you're reading this, you're awesome!

-Akumal