Akumal

And I just stood there with my toes in the sand, a warm summer breeze on my face, and my hands clasped around my sea glass turtle pendant. I heard the car door slam closed, signifying the final box had been packed inside. My eyes stood on the horizon; I couldn't bear to take them away. If I did, I might forget. Forget what this place was ever like.

My home. I needed a place to belong. I just knew I wouldn't fit in in the small town of West Warwick, Rhode Island.

A cold hand gently touched my shoulder. It was only then did I tear my eyes away, brimming with tears. My mother had a sad look on her face, as if she didn't want to leave either. But we had no choice.

I shook her hand off and started towards the car. But halfway to it I turned again. I stared at my mother, who looked back at me. Suddenly I became angry. I brought my hands to my neck and grabbed a hold of my turtle. With one brisk movement, I ripped it off my neck and threw it on the ground. I never wanted to be reminded of this place again.

I turned back to where the car stood and started making my way to it once more. My hand clasped the door handle and I ripped it open. I couldn't stay another moment.

My mother followed after me, but she opened the door delicately, almost like it would shatter if she pulled to hard. My heart is shattered, I thought.

I tried to avoid looking back out at the sunset pink ocean, with the low, steady rhythm of the tide coming in. The car started up and my mother began to wheel it away.

"Stop!" I cried suddenly. She did. I unbuckled and rushed out of he car to where I had thrown the pendant, hardly able to see. My tears overflowed onto my cheeks as I scooped up the now broken string and held it to my chest. I knelt there for a moment, letting my tears fall oh so slowly, until I finally came back up to my feet. I shuffled back to the car and re-buckled myself. Just as I was about to lose sight of the place I had once called home, I whispered to myself, 

"I will never forget you."