Masquerade

"Suck it in princess!"

"I am sucking it in!"

"Well then do it more!"

"If I do it any more, I will rupture a kidney!" Betty and I are yelling back and forth at each other. She insists that I have to look perfect for the masquerade tonight. Apparently her version of perfect and my version are two completely different things. I believe that being perfect would mean that you can actually see me, but Betty's definition means that half of me has to disappear into a black hole- or at least be held back by this corset.

"Ugh- I guess this will have to do." I make a face of displeasure. I'm sure Betty means well but she makes me feel like I'm really fat when she talks like that- which I am not.  For the next hour and a half, I am poked and prodded and told to move my face and head into weird positions as Betty fixes my hair and make up into what I hope will be beautiful.

"Close your eyes!" I do as she says and she leads me in front of a full length mirror. "Okay, you may open your eyes now!" Woah. I was not expecting this! I look like I came right out of Wonderland! I have on a beautiful white dress which hides my simple white flats. My hair is done in a beautiful curly up-do that looks like it is straight from Victorian London. I have on a simple silver crown with diamonds. My eye shadow is silver and my lipgloss is a beautiful light pink.

"It's amazing Betty. You did a fantastic job!"

"Did you really expect anything less from your amazing maid?" I roll my eyes and let out a small laugh. "Oh my! We are late! Very very very very late! You my dear are a half an hour late!" Uh-oh.

"Time to go I guess." I start to make my way to the door but Betty stops me.

"You can't forget your mask, or your necklace!" She shows me the beautiful silver mask before she puts it on me. I situate the mask while she gets my necklace in a hurry.

"This used to be yours back when you- you know, were alive in the past." She puts the necklace on my. I carefully touch the tear drop shaped diamond that's situated beautifully in the middle of the silver chain.

"It's beautiful." I say breathlessly. It's almost like the necklace is alive as it sits near my heart. I can feel the girl, well myself, in the past and her memories are all placed within the diamond.

"The king says that this used to be your favorite necklace. He said it belonged to your mother." I nod my head, in a daze. "But now, it's really time to go. You really can't wait any longer!" She opens the door for me and we both make our way cautiously down the stair case. I can hear music and people talking somewhere nearby. I believe that the ball has already begun.  Alexandru is nowhere to be found. In his stead is a young man around the age of fourteen.

"Where is King Dalca?"

"He is already at the ball. He said he couldn't wait any longer and from what I've heard, everyone is getting impatient wait for her highness. He said to escort the princess to the ball." He holds out his arm for me to take. Betty scoffs.

"If he was so impatient then why didn't he send anyone up to tell us the time." She crosses her arms in a small fit of annoyance. I take the boys arm.

"I'll see you later Betty." She gives out a slight bow. The boy begins to guide me to the other side of the cast where the masquerade is taking place. The voices and music get louder and louder and the butterflies in my stomach get more and more restless. He finally leads me in front of a door with two guards placed in front.

"This is as far as I was told to go princess. King Dalca said that you should find him as soon as possible once you enter and try not to get stuck in any conversations on your way." I nod my head in acknowledgement.