{Chapter} 34

{Chapter 34}

“Daddy, Momma, I’m going back to Sundance” Aubrey announced at breakfast a few days later.

Everyone stared at her.

“You’re leaving again, Aubbie?” Bridgette looked devastated.

“He’s my husband, Bridgette. I love him, and I need to hear him out. It was wrong of me to run off before he had a chance to explain” Aubrey said.

“Aubrey, what makes you think he deserves it?” her father asked.

“God has convicted me of this, and I’m going to act on it. I’m twenty-one now, and according to you I’m an old woman. So, I don’t see that I have to allow you to tell what to do about this” Aubrey kept her voice as respectful as possible.

“This is ridiculous, Aubrey” her mother said in a pleading voice.

“What’s ridiculous is that I had to come all the way home and be without him for over a week before I realized what I’ve done. I’ve done wrong by him and Jay, Momma. I need to set things right” Aubrey defended.

“But, Aubrey…”

“No” Daddy interrupted her mother. “If she wants to be this stubborn and hard-headed, let her do so. Don’t guess we should keep her from acting on her convictions. After all” Daddy looked down as if what he was about to say would kill him, “I don’t suppose that I can envision Wade Dylan doing much to hurt you.”

Everyone’s eyes focused on their father.

“Who are you and what having you done with my father?” Aubrey said with a smile.

“Now, don’t make a big deal about it or I’ll change my mind. Take what money you need and get a train ticket,” Daddy said, his gaze not meeting her eyes.

Aubrey smiled and jumped up to hug her father, feeling joy burst inside her. “Thank you, Daddy,” she said.

She ran off to her room to pack with a grin on her face.

*Thank you, Lord!*

**********

Toni munched on an apple and groaned.

“Why am I always so hungry? It’s not going to help my weight problem,” She said to Katie.

“You forget that you’re eating for a little person now, too,” Katie said, focusing on her crocheting.

Toni sighed. “I ate all the time while expecting Sandy, too. Guess I’m just destined to get fat.”

“Don’t worry about it” Katie smiled. “Erik’ll love you either way.”

Toni smiled. “I guess he would.”

Suddenly, she realized how hot it had become in the house.

“I’m gonna step out for a few minutes, okay?” she said.

“M’kay” Katie mumbled.

Toni walked out onto the front porch and breathed deep of the chilly air. It felt good against her skin and cleared her head.

She saw Erik slapping his hat against his jeans to get the dust off, coming from the corral where a bronco bucked around and snorted.

“That’s a completely exasperating animal,” he mumbled as he neared her.

“He’s giving you fits again?” Toni asked.

“I’m about to just plug him between the eyes and forget about the whole thing” Erik threw a glance back at the animal.