{Chapter} 1

{Chapter 1}

Wade had to smile in spite of the grave circumstances. His boss would not be happy with Tiny Morgan’s mistake.

“Tiny, do you see anything suspicious about these this horse here?” he asked the big, bald headed man who looked more like an ox on two legs than a man.

Too bad he didn’t have much of a brain.

“I think he looks good and fine” Tiny grinned, his chest swelling up in pride.

“Tiny, I sent you after one horse, do you remember why?” Wade asked patiently.

“Um… because you wanted to breed Abe?” Tiny asked quizzically.

“Exactly” Wade walked around to the back of the horse and motioned for Tiny to follow. “There’s a few problems with that. First, this here horse is of the male persuasion, did you happen to notice that?”

Tiny looked at the horse and frowned. “Oh.”

“Yeah. Not to mention that this is also a gelding, Tiny. That would put a kink in out plans even if Abe was a mare. That is, unless you got some sort of trick up your sleeve?”

Tiny listened to Wade and huffed. “I don’t know why I didn’t see that. It says right here on the receipt that he was a mare.”

Wade took the receipt and looked it over. At least Tiny could read decently. “You sure you picked up the right horse?”

“He was the only one that came in on the train today,” Tiny explained.

Wade took a deep breath. He had just paid twenty-five dollars for a gelding he didn’t even want. This was twisted.

“Where did this guy come from again?” He asked Tiny.

“Lovelace, Tennessee” Tiny answered.

“Looks like I’m headed back East. I’m gonna take this here horse back myself and tell that man just what I think of him. Well, no I won’t. I’ll just return the horse and be as nice as I can force myself to be” Wade decided.

“What about the boss lady?” Tiny asked.

“Well, you let me handle her. Maybe I’ll have Erik tell her all about it” Wade nodded.

The MC Ranch was run my Toni McBride and her uncle, Mark Curtis. Toni had just celebrated her 3-year anniversary to Erik McBride, so maybe she was in a good mood today.

“Uncle Wade!” Wade turned around when Toni and Erik’s two-year-old daughter came running toward him with her arms outstretched.

“What’s wrong, baby girl?” Wade asked, sweeping the little girl up into his arms.

“Mommy gonna catch me” Little Sandy said, nodding her head and bouncing her reddish-brown hair.

Just then, Toni appeared from behind the kitchen building and sent a look to her daughter.

“You little stinker” she giggled.

Sandy buried her head in Wade’s shoulder and gave a girlish giggle.

“I’m gonna get your daddy after you” Toni threatened with a smile.

“Did I hear my name?” Erik said as he came from the barn, pulling off a pair of tan leather gloves.

Wade had to admit that the threesome made a quite handsome family.

“What’s the deal with this thing here?” Erik motioned to the horse.

“It’s a bad idea gone worse. I’m gonna have to go to Tennessee for a few days, you can spare me, right?” Wade looked to Toni.

“Why did you get a gelding, Tiny?” Toni asked.