{Chapter} 7

{Chapter 7

“Momma, he’s got a good job back in Texas, I can’t make him leave that,” Aubrey told her mother after the short ceremony.

Wade had gone down the street to make sure Jay got something to eat before the long ride home. Aubrey had just grabbed an apple and was munching on it when her mother had acted so shocked when she found out that they would be leaving.

“He can work here at the mercantile,” Momma offered.

“I’m not going to make a clerk out of a cowboy. Wade’s free-spirited. He needs to be out in the wide-open working with those big cattle. It would be cruel to take him away from that,” Aubrey said, taking another bite out of her apple.

“Have you asked him about it?”

“Momma, it’s not just for his sake, but for mine. I need some time away from -” Aubrey motioned to her surroundings, “- all this.”

“Who will run the store?” Daddy piped up.

Aubrey looked over at him. “So that’s it? You’re afraid of losing your free help?”

“Don’t speak to me like that, girl. I’m still your father” Daddy defended.

Aubrey sighed. “I’m sorry. You’ve got to understand that I’m under some pretty serious stress right now. If you’ll excuse me, I have to go talk to my husband.”

She took her half-eaten apple outside and walked down the street toward Cassie’s Café where most people went to eat when they were in town.

She walked inside to where Wade was watching awe as Jay ate. The boy could put away a plate faster than anyone she knew, that was for sure. She sat down in a chair at their table.

“We have to get out of here pronto,” she said.
“I agree. My boss’ll think I’m dead” Wade smiled.

“Well, the people in this town will start talking soon and I don’t want to be here to witness the outcome of it. I’ll go pack now,” Aubrey offered.

Wade looked at the clock on the wall. “I’ll get the three of us tickets for the two o’clock train.”

“I’ll be ready” Aubrey stood and walked out, tousling Jay’s hair as she went.

She was packing her things in the back room of the store when there was a knock on her door.

“Come in.”

It was Momma.

“I need to give you something,” Momma said, handing her an envelope.

“What is it?” Aubrey asked.

“A letter. From your grandmother” Momma explained.

Aubrey took the envelope. “I’ll have to read it later. I’ve got to finish packing and say good-bye to Brooke before two o’clock” Aubrey stuffed the envelope up her sleeve and went on about her packing.

“I suppose I’ll just say goodbye now, then” Tears welled up in Momma’s eyes.

Aubrey walked over and hugged her mother, trying to forgive her.

“Take care of yourself,” Momma said, her voice choking up.

“I will.”

**********

Leaving? Aubbie! Why?” Brooke panicked.

“Look, Brooke. I’ll explain everything in a letter when I get to Texas. I know it’s mean for me to just leave you like this, but I have to be on the two o’clock train. The thing is, I got married,” Aubrey explained quickly.