Chapter 2 (Part 1 of 2)

“Game Plan”

2013 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Chapter 2 (Part 1)

Dirk leaned up against the door and pulled on his starched collar.  It was getting awfully hot in here and he was ready to get the show on the road. 

Jet paced from one side of the room to the other, stopping every few passes to stare momentarily out the window. "What is taking so long,” he groaned out loud.  “We were supposed to start twenty minutes ago.”

Dirk pushed himself off the door and walked over to the make-shift bar that had been set up in the groomsman’s hotel room. Grabbing two crystal glasses, he poured a double-shot of scotch into both of them. “Here,” he said, handing one of the glasses to the nervous groom.  “Drink this. It shouldn’t be much longer.”

Jet sighed but took the glass and knocked the golden liquid back. He grimaced from the smooth burn as the liquor slid down the back of his throat.  “I swear, if she’s getting cold feet and is thinking about running away then I’ll hunt her sexy ass down and drag her to the alter myself.”

“Calm down,” Dirk said sipping his own glass.  “Mary is not getting cold feet.  Your dad said there was an issue with Mary’s dress and they had to call in a seamstress to fix it.”

“I don’t give a damn about the dress.  She can walk the aisle in a shower curtain for all I care just as long as she is planning on meeting me at the end and saying two words- I do.”

“Look, this is her wedding day and she wants everything to be perfect.  It’s a big deal because she’s a woman. Women start planning this day the second they start to talk.  Hold onto your balls and let the seamstress do her job. Any minute now your dad is going to knock on that door and tell us it’s time to move our asses. In the meantime, just chill.”

Jet closed his eyes, sucked in a deep breath and then slowly let it out.  “You’re right. Mary deserves to have the wedding of her dreams.  It’s going to fine.  Everything is going to be just fine.”

A loud knock sounded behind them.  They both turned to the sound and Tom, Jet’s father, pushed opened the door. “Alright guys, female crisis averted. We’ve been given the green light.  So quit standing around here and move your asses. That beautiful bride of yours isn’t going to wait around all day for a slouch like you.”

Dirk grinned big and shot Jet one of his infamous I-told-you-so looks. “You heard the man, it’s time to get you married.”

Jet didn't move.  Instead he just stood there, frozen and staring dumbly at the open door.

Dirk waved towards the door.  “Well,” he pushed, “your bride is ready for you.  What the hell are you waiting for? Christmas?”

That smart ass comment seemed to rouse him out of his stupor.  “I’m getting married,” he suddenly announced.

Dirk bit back a smile.  “Not if you don’t get moving, you’re not.  Mary is going to think that you’re the one that left her hanging at the alter.”

He scowled and then grunted.  “Oh hell no! I don’t think so. That woman is wearing my ring and I’m not about to back out now.” Looking every inch of determined, he started for the door. “I’m making it official so she doesn’t get another chance to run from me again.”

Dirk followed Jet out and closed the door behind him.  He would never forget the first time that Jet asked her to marry him and how she ran out of the restaurant on him.  It was supposed to be a romantic dinner and before dessert he went down on bended knee to pop the question.