Chapter 2

• Dedicado a Lucie Lauren Green

Chapter 2 - EPOV

I looked up from my Laptop as I heard a car pull into the driveway. I was currently sat on my terrace out back in the house I had built from scratch, next to my Vineyard. Yes, I had finally done it, achieved my dream. It was nearly complete, except for her-

"Edward?" My mom called,

"Outback!" I yelled. My mom, Esme and Dad, Carlisle had mentioned that they would be visiting today, since Alice and Jasper had taken Elizabeth on Holiday before she went to camp. Speaking of which she would be going to today, and then in three weeks my angel would be home. Elizabeth was my eleven year old daughter she had my bronze hair and it was long but not as long as her mother's probably four inches shorter, just reaching the bottom of her shoulder blades, and she had my green eyes, not her, chocolate brown eyes.

"Edward, darling" mom smiled and walked onto the terrace. I stood and embraced her, then my father,

"Son"

"Hey Dad. Can I get either of you a drink? Sit down"

"Sure. I'll have lemonade" Mom smiled,

"Same for me, please Edward" Dad added. I nodded and went into the kitchen. I grabbed the pitcher of lemonade and three glasses before returning outside to my parents. I poured the drinks and handed them out.

"Edward, where's Rose?" Dad inquired. Rosalie, or Rose as she was known as was my best friend apart from Jasper and my sister, but she was employed as my Nanny. She looked after Elizabeth when I was at work but most importantly she was a mother figure for Elizabeth, having cared for her since she was one.

"She went to the store for the weekly shop" I told her.

"What about Tanya?" Mom asked but she tried hard to keep the displeasure from her voice, for my sake but unfortunately failed.

"At work" Tanya. How do I explain her?

She started working as my publicist at the start of the summer and she didn't hide her attraction for me. Tall, voluptuous, tanned and Strawberry Blonde. I can't deny that she has no beauty as that would be a lie. After Elizabeth left with Alice and Jasper for the summer, I cracked and we went out. I didn't want too, God knows I regretted it. Sure my marriage was over but it didn't mean that I lost all feelings for my ex-wife. I don't know why I said yes. I guess you could say it was the loneliness, of having no other half, sleeping alone at night and seeing all my family with their loves; and the guilt. The guilt that has eaten away at me for the past eleven years knowing Elizabeth is growing up without her mother. Yes, she has Esme, Rose and Alice but they're not her mother. That's not the worse of it. We are now engaged, I don't know how. One minute we're eating a meal, and the next Tanya's discussing our wedding. I just … I just didn't deny it. Elizabeth needs a mother and I don't want to spend the rest of my life alone. It works out for everyone, well except Tanya. I feel bad marrying her and not loving her, but sometimes it's like she knows and she's accepted it.

I suppose I love her in someway, more like friends love friends; I'm just not in love with her. I was brought back to reality by my mother's sigh.

"Edward" she started,

"Don't mom, not now" I whispered, resting my head in my hand. We spent the best part of an hour discussing whatever we felt like, carefully avoiding anything to do with Tanya or my impending wedding. I still have to tell Elizabeth, hopefully she'll understand, I pray she does.

"Well, son, I'm sorry I can't stay longer. I have surgery in the afternoon" Dad announced standing up and finishing his lemonade, "I'll talk to you later son" he walked into the house, out of the Californian Sun.