Chapter 3. Getting over it and started (revised)

Dear Readers,  I know I predicted this update by Saturday but events being what they are please forgive me for being 20 minutes late, lol.  I really do appreciate each and everyone of you for reading and even those that aren't commenting or voting.  I am hoping that picks up one way or the other as this is a learning work in progress.   Brutally constructive criticism is appreciated, Happy reading.  :)

Chapter 3. Getting over it and started

Katti knew that today was going to be hard, but she was feeling better when she found a company that did both the breathing equipment and all the hospital beds and other items that would be needed. She even got a lead from one of the home health companies for a lady that ran an inhome service. She made the rest of her calls, went for an interview and if nothing else happened, she would be well on her way to having things set up for her to move both her mother and grandmother back home. Katti went to the hospital to visit with her mother and catch her up on the plans and get her approval. Katti dreaded telling her the state she had found her grandmother in the night before, but she had never been able to lie successfully to her mother.

Katti arrived in her mothers room just in time to see her finishing some of her physical therapy and was watching and listening to the therapist so she would have some clues as to what her mother should be doing upon her release from the hospital. Katti was so proud of her mom, she had come so far in her treatment. Even though she still couldn't walk on her own and they had kept her in what they call SICU which is a specialty intensive care unit for longer periods of recovery for the seriously ill. Thinking back, she remembered what those nurses had said and wanted to just grin that her family were tougher than they had dreamed. These ladies don't quit easily. Her mother looked up and saw her standing in the doorway. The smile she had on her face was worth all the months and days of worrying and agony. Seventy nine days and counting. Katti looked at her and said "Mom you bout ready to blow this popsicle stand?"

Neta just beamed at her and said "In my best country accent, Hell yeah!" Move over Gretchen, Katti thought. "Well I just thought I would check since I am interviewing today for caregivers for you and Gramma. Is there anything in particular that you would like to request?" Katti asked her mother. Just then she felt a hand on her shoulder, looking over her left she saw John, her mother's favorite respiratory therapist.

John gave her a big smile and a hug before walking over to her mother and asking " How is our princess today?"

Neta totally loved John, he might be a smart alek as she called him, but he made her feel special and provoked her to get the very best out of her. "Fine, just waiting for another one of your tall tales." Neta said.

"I swear you get meaner everyday" pouted John. "Faith and begorra, you are hard on a mans poor loving heart." That got a laugh from everyone this tall skinny man that sounded as country as country could sound trying to pull off the irish brogue.

Katti had taken her leave in higher spirits and checked her grandmother telling the staff to have everything ready for her to leave the next day. Her grandmother was also in fine form full of excitement. Katti left there and made it to the interview with fifteen minutes to spare. The lady that ran the home health sitter service was neat and tidy, but her papers were very disorganized. Katti could only hope that she really was as good as she had been told, this was one of those desparate hours in her life. The interview went well, Ms. Adams was going to have four ladies to start the next day and they would meet at the house that evening to finalize things and show them around. They had gone over the rules of the house, the employees bakground checks, the pay and hours. They had negotiated quite well with each other in Katti's opinion and she had also reserved the right to refuse anyone to work there in the event any of them made either of the patients feel uncomfortable. Katti took her leave and headed back towards the school to pick her sons up and was hoping to have time to eat before the next meeting.