Chapter 6. Bride of Frankenstein

Katti went through the rigorous ordeal of answering each of Sgt. Dennum's questions, couched as they may have been in compassion; they were nonetheless still painful and blunt. The nurses and doctors had tried to be courteous and caring of her situation, but she felt as if they were pitying her. The sounds of the monitors were beginning to wear on Katti's nerves and she just wanted to sleep especially as she was expected to stay overnight to have her jaw set which she felt would be a piece of cake after having her shoulder put back in place, she just wanted it all over with. There were so many things running through her mind, needing to call her sons and check on them as well as reassure both of them, let Rayann know there would be no pickup for her tonight, call her mother and apologize for missing the meal and last but as important as the others were this would be the easiest and hardest at the same time... she needed to call in to work. Crap crap crap, now I am missing work again, she was thinking.

“Ms. Lentner, Katti did you hear what I said?” Sgt. Dennum asked her.

“Woops, sorry my mind was multitasking again, sorry no I missed it, could you please repeat it?” Katti answered.

“Katti, I know this is hard after everything you have told me, but is there any doubt in your mind that he will try to come back and finish the job on you?” Sgt. Dennum asked her again.

Katti sat frozen, so many emotions went through her at once she was almost sick. Fear and anger were the uppermost two thoughts and her stomach was really about to revolt at the mere idea of Ray ever coming near her or her children ever again. She shook her head to clear her mind and immediately regretted that action due to the sharp pain in her face and neck and looking Sgt. Dennum directly in the eyes she very shakily said “Well I can honestly say, while I don't know what happened to the man I knew from work, the monster I met today could and would do anything. I don't trust him to stay away from us, and moving away and changing our names is not an option. I choose not to keep a gun around because of Eric, but I will not allow him to do this to me again. If I had ever thought at the beginning when I met him that it would end like this, I never would have even spoken to him, let alone dated him. If I had even the slightest inkling that he would have been violent with me, I might would have tried to break up with him differently than I did. Although I really don't know how I could have done so. So I would say, Yes. I do believe that he is still a threat to me, even though I didn't he was before.” Katti was silently shaking and that was also noted by Sgt. Dennum.

Sgt. Dennum closed his notebook and apologized to her for taking so long and in closing he said what he had been thinking through most of this afternoon and early evening. “Katti, I am sorry you had to go through all of this, I am amazed at how well you have held up to this as well. There are men out there that are good men, and I am sorry you were in contact with one that is such a poor reflection on the rest of us. I am going now, filing those reports, I am leaving you this card with a case number on it, an investigator will be in touch with you. I am also writing the number to my direct line at the office if you need it. Never be afraid to call 911 if you feel he is in the area we will come check it out. You have some fine sons, and I want you to hang in there and keep your head high and your eyes open. I wish you the best.” With that closing comment he put his pen in his pocket and waved goodbye as he placed the card on the tray beside her and left.

Katti took a deep breath then reached for the phone to start her phone calls. She placed the call to work first and left a message with the evening supervisor John, so he could pass the information on to her supervisor when he came in at five am. She told John a rough version after he had asked her if she had seen Ray since he hadn't come in explaining that they had been broken up for weeks and although normally she wouldn't have known what he was up to, he would be able to find him in jail for the charges they had told her he had been arrested for and that she was in the hospital thanks to him having apparently losing his mind and attacking her.