She Will Be Loved- Chp 7

Chapter 7

She Will Be Loved- chp 7

The next morning when I woke Jayden was already awake and out of the tent. I sighed hoping that he wasn’t outside making conversation with those two. The first sound I heard was them laughing and I threw open the flap of my tent to see what was going on.

Stepping outside I found the two sitting by themselves by the extinguished fireplace. I didn’t know what they were laughing about but I didn’t care as long as they weren’t doing it with Jayden. Though now I couldn’t help but wonder where he had disappeared to . . .

---Jayden’s POV---

I couldn’t stay out there for much longer. What Jonie had said last night had really gotten to me but I knew that it wasn’t my fault . . . it couldn’t have been my fault . . . Jonie was the one who had decided to involve weapons. She was the one who thought it would have been fun . . . I couldn’t possibly have been to blame.

I walked into the kitchen to get a glass of orange juice in order to calm my nerves and get ready for the day when I was unpleasantly surprized by my morning guest. She looked up at me from her seat on the stool by the counter with that haughty, know-it-all look of hers that she knew I hated.

“What?” I asked impatiently. Left to herself she would have stared on forever.

“She’s not Cyn you know.”

I could feel my expression darken. “And you think I don’t know that?”

“Well obviously not or you wouldn’t be acting like she was. It’s time you faced up to the fact Jay, the sooner you do the better it will be. Knowing you anything could go wrong when it comes to Cynth--“

“Oh yes and when it comes to her you’re the perfect saint aren’t you. You did absolutely nothing wrong and so your conscience is clear and you sleep like a baby every night.” Her expression darkened too but she deserved any new guilt that she felt because I never completely forgave her for what happened.

“You think I sleep well at nights knowing what happened? You think I don’t have feelings or cry whenever she pops into my mind? You think you’re the only one hurting?” Wait . . . were those actual tears in her eyes . . .?

“Jonie I—“

“You know what, screw you. I don’t have to take this.” She brushed past me but said no more as she exited the room. I threw myself against the wall with my eyes shut tight and I took a deep breath. I really couldn’t handle this. Cynthia didn’t have to end up that way. We could have saved her . . . Sometimes I just forgot how much she meant to everyone else. It didn’t seem like anyone else really cared that she was gone. No one spoke about her. No one mentioned her in a casual conversation, not even Jonie—it was like they were all trying to pretend that she never existed but she did! She was real and what happened to her was even realer.

“Hey what’s wrong with Jonie?”

I opened my eyes slowly and saw Kai standing at the door with Emi in her arms. She seemed genuinely curious but it was nothing for her to worry about. “What’s right with her?” I joked.

She chuckled. “You know she probably has you bugged so don’t be surprized if she heard that.” I chuckled too but it was nothing to laugh about. It was that blasted data carrying business that brought on the situation but no matter how hard I tried I couldn’t get her to stop which was all the more reason to not want Kai around her. She was a danger magnet and when she wasn’t attracting enough she went looking for more.

“Are any of the other happy campers awake?” I asked, trying to change the topic. It didn’t appeal to me anymore.

“Um . . . well our neighbours are awake but you know Matt, he’s still lost to the world.” She said rolling her eyes animatedly. Emi began laughing. I found myself smiling. I was so lucky to have her and half the time I forgot that.