Chapter Thirteen: Can't Turn Back Now, I'm Haunted

Chapter Thirteen: Can’t Turn Back Now, I’m Haunted.

“Come on, come on, don't leave me like this

I thought I had you figured out

Something's gone terribly wrong

You're all I wanted

Come on, come on, don't leave me like this

I thought I had you figured out

Can't breathe whenever you're gone

Can't turn back now, I'm haunted”

-Taylor Swift, Haunted

“Are you guys ready to kick some Ranger ass today?!” Eli asked us as he pumped his fist high in the air giddy with energy you can only attain by drinking various energy drinks like monster Monster (which he did-4 of them to be exact).

I rolled my sleep encrusted eyes at his early morning antics and continued to stuff my blue and white duffle bag with the necessities I would need for these next two days. Today we were taking a nice little trip to El Paso. And When I say nice little trip I mean 9 hours in a charter bus with roughly 20 some odd smelly and immature teenage boys in each bus. And if that didn’t make matters any worse, then being up at four in the morning to get to a 5 o’clock in the afternoon scrimmage did. Yeah, this should be fun. As fun as picking out your eyes with tooth picks, oh the joy.

“Eli, dude it is too damn early to be this hyper. Why don’t you mope around like Blaine and Skye, huh? It would make being half asleep so much easier and not give me a massive headache,” Jared said slurring his words and rubbing the sleep from his big blue eyes. Blaine and I nodded our heads eagerly in agreement, and then continued moving like zombies trying to get packed before the coaches got mad.

The night before a bunch of the varsity players thought it would be an amazing idea to play touch football in the mud and rain since we had a free day. We split into two teams, skins and shirts; of course I was on shirts along with Jared and Eli. Blaine, however, just had to be on the skins team, talk about a huge distraction. Every time we went into formation for the play he would point his fingers ate his eyes, and then back at me. But I was too busy creeping on his muscled and toned chest that was covered in mud. I might have even bit my lip a few times, but no one really noticed because their vision was obscured by the mud that lined their eyes. Besides being turned on while playing football in the mud with shirtless guys (now I understand why males think watching girls wrestle in the mud is such a turn on, mud and hot bodies really was something fascinating to watch) and we just played for fun, but part of me wished we hadn’t have done that.

Don’t get me wrong it was awesome and the most fun I have had since I got to the camp. Especially when we all jumped into the lake nearby to get the mud off of our clothes once it had stopped raining. It was a moment where I was having so much fun I forgot that I was actually here on a mission, my resolve to not get any closer to these Neanderthals was melting, just like my resolve to not like Blaine. It seemed that everything was crumbling due to the emotions that were running through me. Luckily though, I didn’t forget that I was a girl. That would have been bad.

After some intense and grimy tag football and a swim in the lake, the coaches made sure that we were all settled down and in bed by 8, but none of us in cabin one could sleep. So we ended up on the rug crowded around Jared’s laptop (Which he wasn’t suppose to bring) watching funny videos. Not the smartest of things to do I know, but how could someone turn down the ‘Yes Dance’ or that kid that gets hit in the face by the soccer ball, or blueberries? No one can, that’s who.