Chapter one (updated and added too!)

OK so I've reconfigured this chapter, adding two together, adding some more detail in

Chapter one

My name's Phoebe Stone, my friends call me Pheebs. I'm tall, I mean like model tall, 5'10", I tower over most men, which makes my addiction to heels slightly problematic. I have a practical but chic blonde bob, which in the sunlight glistens into hundreds of different shades. I have long since given up on my once long flowing hair and settled for the practical. I'm skinny, but with curves in all the right places if you get me.

I'm that woman who walks into the room and the men stare and think about taking her clothes off and the women instantly hate me.

But that's not me, I'm twenty-two and in my third year of medical school. I am  the dedicated one who sits in the front row of the lecture theatre listening to every word, taking constant notes, not noticing what happens around me. Becoming a doctor is my dream and the second most important thing in my life.

The most important thing is 4 foot high, with long black hair and the complete opposite to me. My five year old daughter Lucy. I became pregnant with Lucy when I was sixteen, to him. Lucy's father James, the head of the rugby team, he was the most popular guy in school, filthy rich, I mean Bill Gates rich, his family came from money on both sides. From the first day I met James I was in love.

To make a long story short, James wooed me, he made me feel like I was the only girl in the world, before that, I had been content just hanging out with Jodi and getting good grades. James was a bad boy who didn't care about anyone but number one, but I was much too in love to see that, with me he was all sugar. I started going out with James when I was fifteen, by the time I was sixteen, I was a shadow of a human being, standing in the girls' restroom with a pink plus staring me in the face, with only Jodi at my side.

*********************

I looked at Mr Masters, I mean Scott, I guess we were on a first name basis now. He did look so cute asleep. I hated to wake him, because then the questions would begin. Scott was Lucy's teacher. Normally I didn't date, I wasn't a prude, it was just between raising a five year old alone, and studying I barely had time to get my hair cut. But here I was lying in the arms of Lucy's teacher. 

“Scott, wake up,” I said quietly, waiting for him to register.

Scott slowly opened his deep ocean blue eyes, a big smile registered across his face.

“Hey there,” he leaned over to kiss me, then hesitated. “What's wrong?”

“ Mr...Scott how did we...” I gestured to the room.

“You don't remember? You weren't that drunk, you said you'd always had your eye on me.”

It was all coming back to me, the haze of disorientation was wearing off,

Jodi's parties were legendary, they were the place to be and people from all walks of life went. I normally heard about them the next day because I was too busy studying or at home with Lucy.

 But this year Sarah, James's sister who was older than him by ten years and had three kids close to Lucy's age, was having a New Years party for the kids at their beach house and had invited Lucy for the weekend.

Sarah and Jodi were the only people from back then who still spoke to me the rest...well the rest pretended I never existed.

***************************

The night started out with me and Jodi getting ready, at Jodi's insistence I had brought a designer dress, it was more than I would spend on clothing, excluding shoes of course, in a year. It was a blue, you know that colour the sky goes when you're on the beach and there's not a hint of a cloud anywhere to be seen, it was backless, just stopping at the top of my round perky bottom, just above my knees. I was wearing my favorite pair of Manolo Blahniks, sliver strappy and high, lust! My hair was styled in a sleek shinning bob. I was ready to party, this was the first party I had been to in two years and I was in college, the land of parties!

I looked over at Jodi, she reeked of money; like me she was a blonde but she had waist long dead straight hair, Jodi was a socialite, she partied, she shopped and if she got bored she modeled for magazines like Vogue; she was jaw dropping beautiful. Next to her I was just “pretty”. Together we were killer. Tonight Jodi was wearing a silver low cut, figure hugging, short dress, that looked as if she was born to wear it.

Jodi had been my best friend since birth, our mother had been in the DAR- Daughter's of the American Revolution together, our fathers were in the top law firm; we were clandestine to end up to be best friends, for the first fifteen years we were inseparable, at one point we were called "the Twins". But one day I met James, and while me and Jodi were still friends, we were no longer referred to as "the Twins". But four hundred and fifty two days, after setting my eyes on James and deciding he was mine, Jodi was the only one left holding me while I cried, telling me everything would be ok.

I smiled at the good memories and looked up into the mirror as we applied the last touches of our makeup; Jodi looked at me, she had the glisten of being up to something, it showed in those big blue eyes of her, it looked like trouble!

“Pheebs tonight is going to be the party of all parties, even more so with you at my side,” Jodi announced as she looked in the mirror, applying her eye liner with the skill of a seasoned socialite.

I smiled while I looked over myself in the wall of mirrors in Jodi's black and white shinning marble en-suite big enough to have a party in its self.

I looked hot, no smoking. “I'm ready to party Jods, I miss way too many of your parties.”

 She ignored my comment, she appeared to have an agenda of her own.

“You know who's coming tonight Pheebs?” She had a wicked grin, the corners of her mouth lifting in the way the did, when she was plotting.

“Everyone, who's anyone?” I said trying to smile and brush off the feeling that she was up to something, I was out to have a great night with my best friend and be a normal twenty two year old.

Jodi laughed her intoxicating warm laugh, “Why yes, but specifically, Scott.” I could feel Jodi watching me in anticipation for my response.

I racked my brain and couldn't come up with any Scott's. “Scott who?” I looked at her puzzled.

She smiled at me all knowing to well. “Scott Masters, I know you thought he was cute. He and I go to the same gym; so when I ran into him the other day I invited him since he mentioned he was free tonight.”

“Omg Jods you didn't!” I gasped, I was also smiling and blushing. Scott Masters was Lucy's teacher, he also happened to be handsome, kind and single. We had flirted on and off over the past year, but I didn't want to risk Lucy's education, so I had turned down his many requests for a date. Even though we flirted constantly, and had gotten to know each other over the past school year. Six months ago I would have never considered even going near that yellow brick road. But, tonight was about me, Lucy would no longer be in his class this year, so what the hell, maybe tonight would be our night?