Thirteen · Emotional

Tuesday, April 10th, 1990

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

"Ooh! This. Is. My. Song." I said to myself, hearing Troop's cover to "All I Do Is Think of You" by The Jackson 5 playing softly from the stereo. 

I walked over to the stereo with the broom in hand, turning the volume up full blast. 

A lot of times I'd find myself reminiscing on my teenage years and how my mother would always shout at me for having the music up too loud. Half the shit I'm doing in my 20's, I'd never get away with in my teens, that includes having this baby. That's the funny thing about growing up

"And bells start to ring

And angels start to sing: 

"Hey that's the girl for you

So what are you gonna do?" 

Hey little girl

I love you (I love you so)," 

I sung along in perfect harmony while sweeping the kitchen floor. 

"All I do is think of you day and night (Day and night that's all I do)!" Someone sang along off key in my ear.

I quickly turned to see Eric grinning with McDonald's food in one hand and his keys in the other. 

"Oh," I breathed with my right hand placed over my racing heart. "Baby you scared me!" I walked over to the stereo to turn it off. "So, what's in the bag?" 

"Damnnn! Can I at least get a kiss first?" He exaggerated, placing the items on the counter. 

I giggled, pecking his lips. 

"Better?" 

He nodded in approval. 

"As promised, your strawberry milkshake, french fries, and grilled-chicken ceasar salad." 

"With?" 

"Extra ranch dressing, I know. I got it right this time."

I smiled, removing my food from the bag and placing it on the counter top alongside my milkshake. 

"Thanks baby, you're the best!" 

"Yeah, I get that a lot. You got the house smelling like straight Pine-Sol!" 

"Well, that's nesting for you." I explained nonchalantly, eating one of my fries. 

When I glanced up at him, he had an annoyed expression on his face. 

"What?!"

"I just think you should be off your feet right now." 

"It's not about what you think." 

He sighed. 

"Don't even go there with me, aight?! This my baby too!" 

"Don't I know that?!"

"Then act like it and stop trying to exclude me from everything all the damn time!" He snatched his keys off the counter and left the house without even saying 'Goodbye'.