Three · Back at One

Image of Lloyd in the Multimedia.

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

I walked inside the house seeing Dre and Lesley lounging on the couch watching old re-runs of Sanford and Son.

"Alex!" Lesley shouted, jumping up from the couch to come give me a tight hug.

"Hey Lesley," I greeted wearily, wrapping my sore arms around her the best way that I could. "What are you doing home so early?"

"Dre picked me up early since ma is working overtime tonight."

"Oh great..." I sighed heavily at the fact I was most likely going to be babysitting Lesley for the rest of the evening.

Lesley went to go take her seat on the couch, beside Dre again.

"Hey Dre." I greeted, removing my school nap sack from my shoulder.

"What's up?" he greeted.

"Nothin' much except the fact that gym kicked my butt today! 52 fu-- freakin' sit ups! I just knew I should've never backed out in 9th grade! I'm beeeyond tired and not to mention, sore!" I complained, sitting on the other side of Lesley. "Anyways, how'd the studio session go after I fell asleep?"

"It went aight. Yella and I are still puttin' the beat together. We're still trying to figure out who's gonna rap it doe'."

I nodded my head slowly.

"Sounds like things are finally lookin' up."

"Yeah, they are. Soon enough I'ma be able to buy Lesley that Barbie Home & Office for her Barbie Dolls!" he laughed.

"Forreal?!" Lesley gleamed.

"Yup and I'ma definitely get us up outta Compton. So, Lesley your Barbie Dolls aren't gonna be the only ones moving on up. And Alex, I'ma buy a whip with air conditioning just for you!"

We all shared a good laugh. After laughing through a whole 24 minutes of Fred and Ethel cracking jokes on one another, Dre had got a call from Yella informing him that it was time for them to head on down to the studio.

"Aight y'all, I gotta go pick up O'shea and Yella then we're gonna head on down to the studio. If y'all need me, I wrote the number to the studio down on a napkin and if y'all need ma, y'all already know the number." he informed, walking out the kitchen, tossing the keys to his junk car as I call it, in the air.

Hey! At least it gets us around, right? So, in that case, I can't complain.

"Okay!" Lesley and I said in unison.

"Not to worry Alex! You'll get to come again next time since you got a good report from the boys last night." he taunted, ruffling my natural curly hair.

I reached back and slapped him in his arm.

"What about meee?!" Lesley whined.

"You're too young!" I hissed at her before turning my attention back towards the television screen.

She kissed her teeth.

"One day Lesley, one day," he said, patting her head. "Aight y'all, I'm gone. Lock the door behind me." he said, walking out the front door.

"Lesley go lock the door."

"Why me?!" she whined.

" 'Cause I'm older than you and I tell you what to do! Respect your elders!"

She kissed her teeth a second time before getting up to go lock the front door.

"Alex?"

"What Lesley?" I asked, never taking my eyes off the television screen.