Five · Down On My Luck

Compton, California · Friday, June 6th, 1986

Alexandria "Alex" Wright

Today is Friday, June 6th of 1986...to be specific, tonight is my prom night.

My dress is all black. It's a body fitting corset which stops at my waistline and expands out into three layers of ruffles that stops precisely at my knees. The finishing touch was the medium sized bow in the back. Though, I hate ruffles, I have to admit that the dress is cute. My shoes are shinny black stiletto heels. For accessories I have on a black choker necklace, dangling diamond earrings, a diamond ring placed precisely on the ring finger of my left hand, a single black bangle on my left wrist, and a beige cross body bag. My makeup is simple, some mascara and nude lipstick is all I need. My mother helped me straighten my natural curls and paint my fingernails all black earlier in the day.

Everyone believes I'm simply going to prom by myself but, really? My plan is in FULL effect! Since Michel'le and Dre made it official over the last few weeks, I knew she could easily manipulate Dre into letting her use the car to drop me off at prom. When she drives off, I'd meetup with Lloyd in front of the school building, problem solved.

"Please baby, one more picture?! You just look so stunning!" my mother said, holding up her Polaroid camera.

I sighed deeply, throwing my head back in embarrassment.

"Ma seriously, one more then we're done. I'm already late as is."

"Alright, alright! This is my last one, I promise! Now smile!" she demanded.

I put on a false smile.

"Oooh, my baby is getting so big!" she exclaimed, snapping the picture but not before Lesley jumped in the mix and ruined everything!

"Lesley!" I whined.

She giggled, running off with one of her Barbie dolls in hand.

Dre stood a few feet behind my mother with his arms wrapped around Michel'le's waist from behind as they laughed at me.

I kissed my teeth.

"I don't even care anymore. Let's roll out Michel'le." I said nonchalantly, strutting over to the arm of the couch and retrieving my bag from it; sliding it on my shoulder.

"Aw baby, don't be like that," my mother said, turning me to face her as I sighed deeply again. "Look at me," she slipped her fingers under my chin in order to lift my head so that we were looking eye to eye. "Have fun, okay? Just remember to not eat or drink anything there."

"Okay ma, I hear you. Can I go now?"

"Yes, I love you." she said, planting a gentle kiss upon my forehead.

"Love you too." I said, pulling away from her embrace.

I watched as Michel'le pecked Dre's lips before slipping the keys to his hoopty out his hand.

I playfully gagged at her causing her to laugh as we made our way out the front door.

"Stay away from them no good niggas, Alex! Forreal! Fo' I have to get my piece!" Dre shouted, standing at the door.