We can help each other

It's been at least an hour. We see people runing, screaming.Tying to escape the terrifying zombies running after them. My heart was beating out of my chest. I looked around. People were trying to get out of the state but every toll was blocked, most streets were blocked, even highways were blocked. I don't know where my dad is planning to take us. He can obviously see that state troopers are threatning to shoot everyone that tries to leave state, trying to prevent further states being infected. 

"Dad, I'm scared."

"Emily I know you are. Do you think that I'm okay? I'm not. I don't know what to do."

That obviously didn't help me. My vision was horrible. I felt my head. There was liquid coming down. I looked at my hand. It was blood. I had a cut on my forhead. "Great" I murmured.

"Were are we even going?"

"Anywhere we can Emily!"

I continued to look out the window. Dad was acting really mean. I know whats happening is really scary and sad, but the last thing I need is for dad to make it worse for me. I had a flashback from back to mom dying. I felt a strong pain in my chest. I bursted out in tears. I missed her so much and I'll never get her back. I'm still young... I'm only 14. 

Dad heard me crying. "I'm sorry Emily. I'm really stressed out and I'm not in my right mind at the moment.

"It's fine. I'm scared too. I'm glad I at least have you. I miss mom so much."

He looked and smiled at me for a moment. We leaned in and hugged each other. For once in this crazy mess of a situation I felt safe. I opened up my eyes and I see a huge zombie running to the car window.

"Oh my gosh, dad, Back up!"

He looked confused. He didn't grasp what I was saying quickly enough. The zombie ripped off the car window and grabbed my fathers face. He took a chunk out of his right cheek.

I sat there staring wide-eyed at my father. I couldn't move, couldn't breathe. I just sat there staring at my dad.

"Emily... Run."

I looked at my dad and slowly made my way out of the car. I shut the door and ran. I ran as fast as I could. There was a stack of wooden boards next to a collapsed house. I ran to them and put them over me so the zombies couldn't find me.

I buried my face in my knees and started crying as hard as possible. I just lost my parents. I don't have anyone. I don't even know what to do! I'm going to end up turning into one of them too. 

I heard rustling next to me. I slowly looked up from my legs. Next to me was a girl. She looked like she was about 14 or 15. She was crying too. 

"Hello? Are you okay?" I asked her.

She looked at me strangely at first. She was analyzing me at first, trying to see if I was infected or not.

"No, I'm not okay. I just lost my parents. I'm obviously sad. Do I look okay to you?" She snapped at me.

"You don't need to be rude too. I just lost my parents aswell I'm not okay either but at least I'm being nice. I said to her. She looked hurt.

"Look, I'm sorry I've just been through a lot. I'm sorry for you. The soldiers, they were throwing bombs at groups of zombies and one of them hit our house. My parents died from it but I'm okay somehow. I just have a few scratches." She started crying even more. "I miss them!" 

I watched her. I patted her back, not really sure how to comfort her. 

"My parents got infected by the zombies." I said trying ot fight back the tears. I've cried enough. "What's your name?" I asked trying to change the subject.

"I'm Taylor," she said wiping away tears. 

"I'm Emily," I smiled at her. 

I hugged her trying to comfort her. I know what she's going through. 

"Come on, we should go. They're going to find us sooner or later. I prefer later, but it'll be quicker if we stay here," Taylor said between sniffles.

I agreed with her and we slowly came out beneath the wooden boards. We ran off.