Chapter 15

Ariel stepped forward to get by her. "No we don't –"

Paige held her hands out, stopping Ariel from breaking past her barrier. "Yes, we do! I can't do this anymore, Ariel. I've tried to keep you out of this world, but you keep shoving your stupid head back in."

"What are you talking about?" Ariel stared, sure Paige was going mad.

"I mean about Cara and her friends," Paige said, exasperated. "I've attempted to be subtle, but since that hasn't worked, I'm going to say it outright – stay. Away. From. Them!"

"Who are you to tell me who to hang out with?" Ariel scoffed. "And what do you mean, subtle? It was obvious you didn't want me hanging out with your precious group of 'friends'. Your insecurity that they might like me better –"

"They wouldn't like you, Ariel!" Paige's voice rose in anger. "They don't even like each other! You still think like a kid; that friends are friends because they like the other person. We are 'friends' because it is beneficial for all of us. There is no liking each other, just advantages to be had from knowing one another."

"Yeah right," Ariel rolled her eyes. "Do you really think I would believe that?"

"Yes," Paige's voice dropped in defeat. "Do you really think I would want to hang out with those girls on a Saturday morning watching cartoons or arguing about who gets the last of the choc mint ice cream?" She snorted, a sound Ariel hadn't heard her sister make in a long time. "Hell, they wouldn't even eat ice cream from fear of bloating."

Stepping back, Ariel leaned against the sink. "Are you seriously trying to tell me you've been faking this for the last two years? Pretending to be a socialite, or whatever."

"Not all of it has been fake," Paige whispered. "But everything to do with those girls – yeah. It's been pretty fake."

"You sound insane."

"I know, but you still don't understand, Ariel," she pressed. "You think I wanted to do this? I only started doing it because Dad forced me."

"Dad forced you to be a stuck up cow?"

She rolled her eyes. "I sucked at school. I'm sure you remember that much. My grades were always disappointing to Dad and when my enter score proved I had the intelligence of a fig newton, Dad started introducing me to the daughters of his business associates. Then encouraging me to go these stupid dinners, and mingle with guys who were so full of themselves and their family importance, I wanted to stick my finger in the nearest electrical socket just to get away from them. Through me, Dad meets potential clients as I meet their children."

"So, what Dad is essentially pimping you out?"

"Pretty much."

A small niggle of doubt was starting to form in Ariel's mind. She tried to squash it even as it continued to grow. "You've been doing this for two years?"

She nodded. "I don't want to sound arrogant, but I'm good at it. I used to be horrible, but I've gotten used to putting my game face on, so to speak and figuring out who has potential and pointing them out to Dad."

"Pimp Daddy must be pleased." Paige sighed as Ariel raised an eyebrow. "I still don't see how I come into this yet."

Paige shot forward, grabbing Ariel's arms and giving her a small shake. "Ariel, you're smart. You were helping me with my homework when you were fourteen. This life – the parties, the people – it's not you. You can do whatever you want. Just don't become me."

The doubt was the size of a golf ball. Up close, Ariel could see the desperation in her sister's eyes. Everything she said was making a made sort of sense. It was something she could certainly see their father doing. Paige had been terrible at school, but Ariel hadn't thought she was that bad.