Chapter 5

The next day Ariel layered herself up and went out into the garden. The day before she had holed herself up in her room after the session with the Doctor and spent her time emailing her grandfather and reading a book she had borrowed from the library. It was a historical romance, full of cheese and drama; an easy read to distract her from the real world.

Emily had popped in every now and then but had given her space and hadn't tried to pry or become friends. Ariel hadn't been ready to talk to anyone, even if it was what the doctor wanted.

His journal idea was ridiculous. She had no idea what to write in it and the thought that it might miraculously help her fix her problem was absurd. His suggestion of getting along with the others kept echoing in the back of her mind. She didn't want to make friends with anyone, but from the sounds of it, she could be here a long time and the thought of having no one to talk to was enough to drive her mad. Autumn seemed like she would be tolerable, and Emily might be okay. Lucas was a definite no though. She would not be making friends with that thing anytime soon.

Finding a small seat in the center of the back garden, she sat down and placed her chest on her lap. The fresh air was invigorating after being cooped up inside all day yesterday. The garden was filled with a variety of flowers she had never seen outside of flower shops. Daisies, tulips, roses, lavender, and a small herb garden lined the west wall while a vegetable garden lined the east. Everything was arranged very symmetrically but there was also a wilderness to the garden with the numerous wildflowers growing across the grass creating an array of colour.

Near the herb garden, Ariel spotted a small patch of blue bells and got up from her spot to take a look. Bluebells had always been one of her favourites. She had never seen one in real life, only in photographs. Bending down, she picked a few to take back to her room.

"Beautiful, aren't they?"

She jumped and spun around. Emily was standing behind her with the man whose voice had startled her. With black hair, brown eyes and a lithe frame he had a dashing countenance that was marred by the scar running across the bridge of his nose. His accent was Italian but his English was clear.

"Yeah." She quickly picked up her chest, eyeing them both. "I was going to put them in our room."

She looked at Emily who smiled hesitantly. "Sounds like a good idea."

"So," Ariel looked back at the Italian. "Who are you?"

He smiled and reaching forward he took her hand, kissing her knuckles. "My name is Michael Rossi. It's a pleasure to meet you, bella."

"Uh huh." She snatched her hand back. "I'm Ariel."

"Of course! Ariel!" He glanced at Emily and it didn't take a genius to realize that she'd been a topic of conversation.

Emily averted her gaze and Ariel sighed. She would have to speak with Emily later on. Maybe if she did what the Doctor said he would make her case a priority or at least get off her case about being nice to others.

"What is that you're carrying?" Michael asked, motioning to her chest. "Something precious from back home?"

She nodded, looking down at the object at hand. "Something like that."

Michael's expression softened and he nodded, saying no more. Emily gave her a reassuring smile. Ariel wished it was something smaller and less obvious to carry around. If she had to put up with everyone asking about it she was going to go insane and snap again.

The sound of voices interrupted their awkward silence and they all turned to the noise. A small boy ran across the garden from the back gate followed by two women. Both were blonde though their ages varied. One looked a few years older than Ariel, while the other could have been her mother's age and she guessed she was the young boys mother.