Chapter 9

The theme for the prom was "Underwater Adventures," and the high school gymnasium was decorated to reflect that. Blue and green streamers hung from the ceiling, and soft lights of the same color hung over the students' heads. The bleachers were covered with blue fabric, with pictures of fish and bubbles and seahorses tacked up on them. A huge snack table was to the right side of the gym, with a blue tablecloth on it and lots of chips, cookies, punch, and other snacks. On the other side of the room was a huge DJ table with stereo speakers and a turntable. The DJ was a girl with long, flowing blonde hair and a pair of green Beats headphones on her ears. She was wearing a short green dress and was rocking out the music.

"Breathing you in when I want you out

Finding our truth in a hope of doubt

Lying inside our quiet drama..."

That's exactly what it feels like, Kori thought to herself as Onew escorted her into the gymnasium. Karen was by her side, Minho escorting her in as well. The dance floor was packed with kids she knew, all dancing, some in groups, others with their dates.

She turned around and took a look at Onew, who for the first time really looked a bit nervous. "Well, we're here."

"This is really a party," Minho said. Kori turned and saw he truly looked excited. He turned to Karen. "Would you like to go dance?"

Karen nodded her approval. "Let's find a table, first. I think we should take off our shoes first."

"Affirmative," Kori noted. "When I came for junior prom last year, I only wore my shoes for about ten seconds before my feet started to hurt too much. Table first, dancing in a moment."

"I see one," Karen said, pointing to a small table in the far right corner. "Looks like everybody else got better tables, but this one should do."

"Sounds good," Kori said as she strutted toward it, practically dragging Onew along. He quickly caught on and matched her step for step. No matter where she walked, Kori was turning heads, and Onew wasn't sure if it was because he was here or because SHE was here. Did everybody else think she was as beautiful as he did?

Calm down, Onew thought. She's a high school girl. A high school girl. Who is about ready to graduate. But still a high school girl. Breathe.

They made their way to the table. There were two chairs, and Kori and Karen sat for just a moment to take their shoes off. Onew draped his jacket around one of the chairs to reserve the table, and Kori blushed at the sight of him just in his nice white shirt and pink vest and tie.

"Now do we dance?" Karen asked.

Minho took her hand. "I'd be honored," he said as he escorted her out onto the dance floor, leaving Kori and Onew back at the table. They walked out into the middle, and Karen could feel every eye on her and Minho. They hadn't been announced earlier at the promenade, so she figured everybody was questioning who her date was.

Never mind that. They didn't need to know. And if they knew who SHINee was, they'd figure it out soon enough.

The music changed to a summery track that all of the students knew, and everybody started dancing along. Karen danced the best way she knew how, swaying to the music. She blushed when Minho took her hands, but led him lead her as he twirled her around the dance floor, spinning her so fast she got dizzy.

"This is fun," she said as Minho pulled her close.

He blushed. "I'm having fun, as well," he said, trying his best to hide his blush.

"I mean, it's just such an honor to be here with you tonight." Karen twirled around in a circle. "This is a dream come true. It's too bad it will have to end later on." She paused for a moment. "I mean...you're not going to forget tonight, are you?"

Minho blushed so hard, he wished Karen wouldn't be able to see it. "I want to remember tonight forever," he whispered, putting his hand on Karen's shoulder. He wasn't sure how he'd get a chance to communicate with her during his busy schedule, but he wanted to do it. Even though he had just met her one night, even though there was an age difference, a culture difference, a physical distance, he wanted to make it work. Perhaps this was true love?

Back at the table, Kori looked over at Onew. "Are we going to go dance as well?"

He swallowed his pride. "Sure," he said as he took her hand and led her out onto the dance floor, by Minho and Karen. They danced together, not in any particular style, to the beat of their own hearts, the song guiding them in a perfect rhythm. Kori let herself stay loose, even around Onew. From here on out, their night had an ending time, and after that time, she would never see Onew again. She would only be left with the memory of his smile at dinner, the way he escorted her, how they danced now in a circle. It was a memory she wanted to keep frozen in time as long as possible.

"Hey! Kori!" Kori turned to see her friend Tiffany there with a group of friends. "I was wondering where you were earlier!"

Kori couldn't help but smile, keeping a hold on Onew's hand. "We were busy and missed the promenade," she said. "But we're here now."

"Who's your date?" Tiffany asked, trying to get a better look at Onew in the low light. Tiffany didn't know who SHINee was, but she knew Kori was obsessed with Korean music. "I've never seen him around here before."

"He..." Kori blushed. "Ahem. Doesn't speak much English. This is one of my friends..." She trailed off. How could she explain Onew in a way that Tiffany would understand?

Before she could, she heard a yell from over the crowd, a yell that shattered any security she had about this night.

"OH MY GOSH! IT'S SHINEE!!!"