Chapter 4

"No way. No. Way. You have got to be kidding me!"
Karen laughed as she ate another celery stick. "I'm not, I promise. He really said he'd go and pick them up."
Kori bit her lip; she didn't want to cry. "You promise?"
"I do. Key's a sweetheart. When I told him there had to be special flowers, he said he would take care of it, even though we didn't preorder. I told him mine had to be purple and yours pink."
"What gave you that idea?"
"What idea?"
"That my flowers had to be pink."
Karen looked around Kori's room, at the pink walls, pink curtains, pink sheets and even pink doors. "Gee. I wonder."
Kori laughed as she crossed her legs, relaxing. It was late Friday night, after the SM Town concert, and they were having a sleepover. The television was on, playing nonstop YouTube clips from Inkigayo through Kori's Roku digital television unit, and Kori's mother had prepared them with veggies, tortilla chips, and ranch dip and salsa. Kori's parents, as well as Karen's,  had been concerned about their kids' whereabouts after school, but one of the SM Town managers had backed up their story, so they were fine. They were even excited that SHINee would be going to prom with them. Before Kori and Karen had left the Honda Center, Karen had given Key her phone number, as well as Kori's address, as contact information for the morning.
"But the plan is for Key to get the corsages and boutonnières tomorrow morning, and then their replacement limo will come to pick us up," Karen said as she changed the video again, to one of SNSD. "Once we figure out who our dates are, we'll give them their flowers as well. Key also said he would work out dinner."
Kori blushed. "He said that? I thought we were just going to eat pizza here."
"Well, clearly, that's not happening." Karen grinned. "Kori, I hate to break it to you, but you are getting the prom you deserve. So don't deny it and just accept it."
Kori opened her mouth to object, but then realized her best friend was right. "All right, fine. But I know we can only take two of the guys to the actual dance."
"Key said they would all come to dinner, though," Karen said.
"Wow. I guess he's just going to take care of everything."
"Why else do you think they call him The Almighty Key?" Karen giggled. "I wonder if they'll choose who should go with us, or if we'll get to choose." She still hadn't told Kori about her last part of the plan: to set her up with Onew.
Kori shrugged. "I guess I really don't care."
"Oh, you do care who you go to prom with."
"...What gave you that idea?"
Karen pointed behind Kori, to the wall that was covered with pictures of Onew, posters she had gotten from Korean shops of Onew, and printed photos from the Internet of - you guessed it, Onew.
Kori blushed. "That doesn't mean anything," she said.
"It means you have a bias."
"Okay, okay, so I have a bias! But so do you!"
"Kori, I don't have an entire wall of Minho in my room. I have some posters of SHINee, but nothing like your wall."
Kori's face only got redder. "Not. Fair."
Karen smiled and ate a tortilla chip dipped in salsa. "Just agree that tomorrow is going to be awesome."
"No matter who I'm going with," Kori said, eating a chip as well. "I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight."
"Neither am I," Karen said. And neither did, staying up until the wee hours of the morning and finally falling asleep from exhaustion - it had been a long day. When they finally woke up around noon, Kori's mother had made them brunch, and they ate the pancakes quickly before changing into their dresses. It took them all afternoon to get dressed and do their hair.
Karen's medium length hair was straightened and fell along her shoulders, complimented by two purple butterfly clips on one side. She was wearing a purple strapless dress with a black skirt that stopped just above her ankles, with a purple slit in the side of the skirt. There was a black ribbon that went around her waist, tied in a black bow at the back. She had black high heels and black arm gloves to match, a small pendant around her neck, and purple eye makeup along her brown eyes.
Kori had her long brown hair up in a messy bun. Her dress was actually from last year's junior prom, since her family couldn't afford a new dress right now, but she didn't mind. The dress was - guess! - pink, with a full skirt, spaghetti straps, and sequins down the side and on the front. Her nails had been painted pink, and she was borrowing a pair of Karen's white heels, which fit perfectly. Around her neck was a cross necklace her mother had given her. Light makeup framed her face and blue eyes.
"You look perfect," Karen said as she finished Kori's makeup. "Tonight will be great no matter what happens."
Kori blushed thinking about what was about to happen. "When do you think they'll be here?"
"Oh, I'd say right about -" Karen's phone rang; checking the caller ID, she saw it was Key. "Now."