Chapter 2: A Known Nephew

Poppy and Gregg is already at the door and I join them.

"I love that pouch. It’s so cute." Poppy say, she looks like an excited little puppy. I just stand there and laugh for a while.

"Thank you. I got it from this very small shop at the beach once." I say still laughing.

"You should totally show me that shop, because I have been searching for something unique for the new season. Something like that pouch would totally rock." Poppy says, even more exited.

"Can we go now? You can talk about "bags" further when we get in the car." Gregg says putting his hand on his wife’s back, practically pushing her forward. We just laugh and Gregg joins in.

“You ready? Got everything?” Mrs Henderson asks me when we're done laughing.

“Yes, I think so.” I reply and Mrs Henderson laughs a soft laugh and shakes her head from side to side.  Mrs Henderson then opens the door and stand back as Poppy and Gregg walk out the door.

When I step out of the front door and in the drive way, you would not believe what I see. I can’t believe my eyes. I have to be careful or my mouth might just be full of flies soon. In front of me stand a sleek black 1967 Ford Mustang. My favourite car of all times. I always wanted one, as long as I can remember. My Mom and Dad’s first car was a Mustang. I only decided I wanted a mustang when they died, probably because it is something I can remember them by. I keep myself from gasping and just stare at the car with awe. I close my mouth slowly as we all walk to the car. I have to keep myself from patting it like a little Chihuahua. I turn around to say goodbye to Mrs Henderson before I can make a fool out of myself.

“Bye, Mrs Henderson.” I say and give her a hug.

“Bye sweetheart, have a great time with them, okay.” She says hugging me back. While she is hugging me, she put something in my jacket pocket.

I step back give her a smile and turn to Poppy and Gregg. Gregg opens the door for me and pulls the seat back for me to climb in. I sit down and take in the leather smell of the inside. It smells like heaven.  Gregg pushes back the seat and holds the door open the door for Poppy. Poppy greets Mrs Henderson before she gets in. After Gregg closed the door he greets Mrs Henderson and walk around the car to his side. He starts the car and reverse out of the drive way. My oh my, what a sound this car make. I am sitting here like a giddy kid as I admire the interior of this beautiful car. I would totally want then to adopt me just to drive this car when I turn 18.

"This is a very beautiful car." I say shyly from my seat.

"Thank you. Me and my father built it from scratch when I turned 17." Gregg says while looking at me through the mirror.

"That is very cool. My parents’ first car was exactly like this Mustang." I say. Why did I just say that? What if they now think badly of me? Jessie you are a total idiot.

Just when I thought everything was going to be awkward Poppy turns around and ask, “You don’t mind if my nephew joins us today, do you?”

“Of course not.” I say forcing the fear of my face. I am going to meet another family member.  The worst part is that it is a boy. I always have a hard time talking to boys. I wonder how old is he? Is he going to approve of me maybe joining his family? All these questions are going through my mind like water through a faucet when you open it until it can’t be opened any further.  What if he thinks I am not good enough to be part of his family?

“Awesome, I was scared you would not approve of him joining us. I promise he is very nice. He is a year older than you. I think he goes to the same school you go to. I don't know what the schools name is though. His name is Kevin; he is my brother’s youngest son.” She says smiling at me over her shoulder.