Chapter 3: Percy

Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to update!

Hope you enjoy this chapter!

____________________________________________________________________________

 Chapter 3:  Percy

         Percy was officially having the worst day of his life, and that was saying a lot. Battling drakons, Titans, and giant pigs just didn't compare with falling into a bottomless pit of evil that no one except the son of Hades, Nico, had ever gotten out of alive, and even then as a prisoner of Gaea. He had absolutely no idea of what he faced down there, besides a huge army guarding the Doors of Death, and even then had no clue where in Tartarus the Doors of Death were.

            But at least he wasn't alone. As they fell deeper into the darkness, gaining speed with every minute, Percy hugged Annabeth, who had fallen unconscious from the pain in her leg, closer to him. He tried not to think of would have happened if he hadn't caught hold of her at the last minute, if they had been separated yet again. They may be in their worst situation yet, but at least they were together.

              "At least we're together"

              Percy's head snapped around, looking for the source of the raspy whisper, the voice that had just echoed his thoughts. Then he and Annabeth fell past a huge crag of rock jutting out. Before they passed it, Percy was just able to decipher the Greek letters inscribed on it, that said... TARTARUS. He felt a cold wind on the back of his neck, and could suddenly feel evil around him. Annabeth woke up with a start.

                 "Did you feel that?" she whispered urgently.

             "Yeah, I don't know - ," Percy's body suddenly erupted in pain. His body was on fire. He writhed around in pain, with no other thought in his head but to make it stop. He could hear Annabeth screaming and knew it must be happening to her too, but they hadn't hit the ground yet so why...?

                  Another wave of pain hit him and Percy's vision turned red. Faces appeared in front of him, all calling out his name. Grover, Tyson, his mom, his stepfather, Paul.

                And then, just as suddenly as it had come, it stopped. All at once, Percy was floating in the sea, and standing in front of him was his dad, Poseidon. 

                    "Dad," he began, but Poseidon cut him off. 

             "I'm sorry Percy, but we don't have much time. You have crossed the threshold into Tartarus and the farther into it you fall, the more effort it will cost me to reach you. If you want Annabeth and yourself to survive your journey through Tartarus, you must listen to me and trust me."

               A lump rose in Percy's throat. He hadn't seen his father in eight months, and now he decided to show himself?

                     "First of all, don't trust anything you see. Do you understand? Even Annabeth could be an illusion. Tartarus more than a bottomless pit, it plays on your deepest fears and tortures you in unimaginable ways. Never let down your guard." said Poseidon.

                    Percy couldn't believe what he was hearing.

                 "Second of all, remember that time in Tartarus is meaningless. For all you know, you could be in here for a hundred years and it could feel like a week, so you will have to find the Doors of Death as quickly as possible."

                 "But...we don't even know where in Tartarus the Doors of Death are!" Percy said desperately, "why can't you tell me that?"