Chapter 41

Happy holidays :)

Five minutes later I was sitting in the back of the coat room, tears staining my face and the sequins on my dress digging into every inch of my skin leaving angry red cuts. I was wiping my black mascara tears onto someone's expensive white tuxedo jacket. My phone vibrated.

Ryan was calling me. The phone lit up the dark closet and hurt my eyes. I let it go to voicemail. A second later he sent me a text.

"Where r u?"

I was going to ignore him but my brain felt guilty and my heart felt sad so I decided I needed a friend.

"Coat closet."

A couple of minutes went by so I sat in the dark trying to get my thoughts out of my mind. I don't want to think about anything. Anyone. I especially don't want to think about...

My heart ached

... Alex

The closet door opened sending a blinding light into my vision.

"Spence?" The door shut and it was dark again.

"Ryan.." My voice came out forced and strained, like I had been screaming all night. He sat beside me and grabbed my hand.

"I heard about what happened. Everyone is talking about it."

"I'm so stupid..."

"You're not stupid. Alex is stupid. His girlfriend is stupid."

My breath caught at the words his girlfriend.

"I'm so stupid for falling in love with Alex. So, so stupid."

He made a noise that sounded like he was snorting and laughing in a very sarcastic way.

"What, Ryan?"

It was dark but I could see him looking at me.

"I'm stupid too."

"Why?"

He squeezed my hand.

"I'm in love with a guy too."

I stared at the shadow of Ryan's face.

He's gay

Ryan is gay.