Chapter thirty nine pt two

I met Mark in his hotel room. I had held back the tears until the minute I saw his face; then I let it all out. I broke down in his arms as he held me like a father would.

He knew that Alex was seeing Nina again. He knew and he didn't tell me.

I choked out sobs and made a mess of my hair and makeup. My heart felt like it was literally breaking. I grasped at my chest but all I could feel was pain.

Mark rubbed my back in a soothing way, trying to calm me down.

After a couple of minutes I stopped crying and just sat there looking blankly at the buttons on his shirt. He didn't say anything but covered me up with the comforter to his fancy hotel bed and tucked me in. My face hit the pillow and I closed my eyes.

I didn't even hear Mark walk out of the room. Clutching the Egyptian cotton sheets, I fell asleep.

--

I woke up a couple of hours later, my head pounding and my eyes feeling like they had been glued shut. I felt gross, and tired.

How am I going to face the guys?

There was a party scheduled for tonight that I had to attend. I knew about it before all of this happened so I couldn't just bail now. I have to drag myself out of bed. I have to do this. I have to be strong.

I pulled myself out of bed and sat up, looking at my phone. I needed to get ready and I needed to eat something before my tummy started making noises.

Then I realized that I left all of my stuff in Alexs room and felt the hunger be replaced with a gut wrenching sadness.

I wrapped my arms around my torso and tried to comfort myself.

It wasn't working.

Marks things were laid around me and I felt like I was somewhat safe with all of these familiar things around me. Mark is my rock, that's for sure.

I stood up, uneasy at first but then I stood tall despite my urge to crawl back into bed and stay there forever. I checked my phone to see if Mark texted me. He did.

I was supposed to come meet him in the lobby when I was ready. I felt the urge to vomit as I looked at my phone. I would probably have to face the guys. Alex. I would have to face Alex.

I was wearing the same thing I wore yesterday so I decided to take a shower and try to clear my head. I grabbed one of marks shirts and got into his shower to wash away my worries.

As soon as I got out of the shower I was still disappointed.

It didn't work.

I was still furiously upset and crying and my body still felt the need to go into hibernation. With marks shirt on and my leggings I left his room. I am going to this party tonight.

And Alex is going to wish I was his.

•••

Reporters would be here for sure I just knew it. I needed to wear something that made Alex wish he was doing me last night instead of Nina.

As I sat in the makeup chair of my personal artist, Serena, I could feel my palms sweating. "Serena have you ever been in love?"

She looked at me with her dark chocolate eyes and smiled.

"No, and I don't ever want to be."

"Why not?" Her answer took me by surprise.

"Darling.." She began, as she contoured my cheekbones to perfection. "Being in love is like volunteering to be stabbed a million times and getting your heart ripped out. I'm perfectly happy with my cats."