CHAPTER 16

I sit in the bathroom for what feels like a half an hour, listening to the sound of yelling and thumping footsteps before Ricky comes crashing into the bathroom. He's panting, his eyes panicked.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

He locks the bathroom door and jumps into the bathtub, shutting the curtain. "Shit!" he yells, putting his head in his hands.

"Ricky, what's wrong?" I ask, scared.

He looks up at me, his eyes rimmed red. "That bastard went to the cops," he growls.

"Who?" I ask, and then it hits me like a punch in the face. "Josh."

He nods, taking my hands.

"But...how?" I ask.

"When he went out after the fight," he explains, "he drove to the police station and turned himself in. He also told the cops where we were, and a bunch of them are outside, trying to bust down the door."

I gasp, gripping his hands. "Did he tell them about me?" I ask.

He nods which makes tears well up in my eyes.

"He told them that we were holding you hostage," he says. "Told them we beat you, raped you."

A sob rips from my chest and I duck my head.

"But...but why?" I ask. "Why Josh do such a thing?"

Ricky shrugs and says, "He was probably mad and jealous. I just can't believe he would put all of us in danger like this."

I let out a shuddering breath, squeezing my eyes shut.

It can't end like this.

It can't.

"Kate," Ricky says, his voice soft yet stern. "Baby, look at me."

I pick my head up, opening my eyes, letting tears stream down my cheeks and plop down on the porcelain surface of the bathtub.

"I'm not going to let them take you," he says. "I don't care what happens to me. I don't care if I go to jail and die in the electric chair the next day."

"Don't say that!" I cry out. "Please don't say that."

"You know it may happen, Katelyn," he says. "But I don't care. You've got to be strong, okay?" He touches my cheek before trailing down to the neck.

I put my hand on his and look at him in the eyes. "I won't let them take you," I say. "I promise."

A fire lights in his eyes, one that scares me terribly, and he gathers me in his arms. He crushes me against him, burying his face in the crook of my neck and kissing it.

"I love you," he murmurs. "I always will."

A sob chokes it's way out of my mouth and I wrap my arms around his neck, kissing his shoulder. "I love you too," I say. "I'll never stop."

Suddenly, footsteps thump up the stairs followed by some loud gunshots and yelling.

I jump, but Ricky hugs me tighter as he loads his gun up. He looks at me, love and fire in his eyes. I nod as I hear a loud knock at the door.

"Police!" a deep voice yells. "Open up!" I smash my lips to Ricky with as much passion and love as I can muster for him which as big as the whole universe. The knob to the door jiggles violently before a loud bang is heard, shaking the door. Three loud bangs louder, the door is kicked open, flying off it's hinges. I cry out as six police men come in, their guns pointed at us.

"Freeze!" the one in the front yells. Ricky doesn't listen. Instead, he points his gun at him and shoots. A loud gun shot is heard as the bullet flies into the police man's arm. He cries out and drops his gun, clutching his arm. A second police man helps him up and grabs a towel, wrapping it around his arm.

Two police men suddenly reach out and grab me, clutching my arms. I scream, kicking my feet.

"Ricky!" I yell, flailing my arms as they take me out of the bathtub and drag me out of the bathroom.

I hear Ricky yell my name and he's suddenly running out of the bathroom, trying to catch up with me as they drag me down the stairs. I scream again, kicking hard, trying break free, but the police men are too strong. I have no choice but to walk as we make our way outside.

The sky is a blush red in the horizon, the midnight blue almost gone. It's close to morning.

"Please let go," I say, tears streaming down my face. "Please."

They don't listen.

Instead, they drag me towards an empty police car. I watch as the rest of the gang fights, getting dragged to police cars. I see Sweet Pea kick a police man in the face and he slaps her, making her crumble to the floor. Jessie punches him in the face and begins to grab the police men's gun from his pocket, but before he can, he's tasered. He shakes and withers before crumbling to the ground in a helpless heap.

I catch sight of Josh in the police car closets to me, his head leaned against the window, his face miserable.

We catch each other's eyes.

"I'm sorry," his eyes say.

"What have you done?" I make my eyes say.

Before we get to the police car, I hear Ricky yell my name. I twist around and fine him running out of the mansion, down the stairs, and down the street, barefooted and in his boxers.

"Ricky!" I yell, twisted my arms, trying to break free.

A burst of electricity runs through my veins and I elbow the police man gripping my left arm. He gasps and lets go, clutching his stomach. The freedom gives me a chance to kick the other police man in the shin. He lets go, crumbling to the ground to clutch his leg.

I run full speed towards Ricky down the street and across the damp grass before I jump into his arms. He lifts me up, me feet dangling off the ground before I sob, wrapping arms around his neck, my legs around his waist.

"I love you," he says, his voice sounding choked. He strokes my hair as police men come towards us, their guns pointed at us.

I think of the words he whispered to me that day in the bank.

"Wait for me," I whisper. "I'll come for you."

He looks at me, his eyes confused before they clear up and he smiles. I'll keep that image forever in my head.

I feel the cold hands of police men on my arms as they yank me away from Ricky. Four of them to the same to him, yanking him away from me.

He doesn't let go of my hand. I grip tighter, our hands interlocked before the police men yank harder and our hands pulls away.

"No!" Ricky yells, struggling against them, his cheeks streaked with tears. Seeing this makes me sob, my legs limp as they drag me back to the police car and throw me inside, shutting in and locking it.

I crawl over the leather seats, the flashing red and blue lights of the police cars coloring the inside of the car and over my skin.

I put my hands against the cold glass and look out at Ricky as they handcuff him and push him in a police car.

I scream and kick the seat in front of me before settling down the putting my legs to my chest. I grip my hair and make sure it's on either side of my face like a curtain, covering it before letting it all go.

Tears drip down onto the seats, leaving spots their as the two police men climb into the car and start the engine, their walkie-talkies blaring.

Even as they pull out of the drive way and hand me a blanket, I still cry.