DML: Chapter Eleven: Lycanthropes And Lessons

I peek an eye open and tilt my head to see a retreating upside down maw with razor sharp teeth snapping for my head, but a millisecond too late, because Ben has clutched my wrist, dragged me five feet across the floor, and thrown me behind him. Crouched before us is a wolf, smoky in colour with a shaggy coat. My fingers twitch. I would love to stroke it.

Ben and the wolf lunge at each other, spring back. After a minute or so of them circling each other, I rub my brow; slap a hand to my thigh. What is this? My heart settles. They’re not going to fight. Both looked pissed enough, but neither is going to make the first move.

“What are they doing?”

I jump a mile, strangling a yell. Ben twists round to check on me but the wolf snarls and his attention switches back to pacing a wide circle.

The voice belongs to a woman. She’s taller than me, but not that that means much. I’m so short most twelve year olds are taller than me. I don’t think her plan is to attack me; she would be in wolf form, wouldn’t she? Her dark hair is long and thick. Her endearing features are plain, but strong, memorable. Her eyes are big and blue, curved at the edges to give her an exotic look. Cocked in a smile, her lips are full, and her sharp teeth bright white. Skin slick with sweat, she too smells like wet dog. My nose crinkles and I sniff.

“You’re one too, aren’t you,” I ask, somewhat distracted. Her companion is nipping at my Ben after all.

Wincing, she rubs her ear then crosses her arms over her chest. Her body is sleek and muscular. “Yeah, guilty as charged snaggle-tooth. What are doing on my Daddy’s territory?”

“Snaggletooth,” I echo.

She rubs her ear again, and eyes the hand I’m offering suspiciously. I keep my expression open, I’m happy to meet her. With a huff she takes my hand and shakes it twice. “Harmony. Second daughter to Liam, the South West Alpha, and supposedly that mutts she-wolf though he’ll have to break my legs so I can’t run before I let him mount me.” She motions to the wolf growling and being tossed around by Ben. “Men can be so presumptuous. Do you know he was sniffing around my older sister until she got engaged? Soon as, he switched his attention to me. Asshole. Yeah, I’ll just accept sloppy seconds.” She makes a noise of disgust. “He was trying to seduce me before you two took a tumble down the hill. Superb timing by the way.”

She inhales to carry on and I quickly say, “I’m Lee, and I’m ... I’m sorry, what are you doing?”

Harmony sniffs at my neck and hair, circling me, curious. I bat her away.

“You smell different to the others,” she says, puzzled. “I’ve only met two of your kind in my lifetime but you smell like…” Her head whips around to the wolf facing off Ben. “Sy!” she snaps. “We’re leaving. Now.”

The wolf looks up at her with glowing eyes and backs away, still snarling at Ben who brushes his hands off.

Harmony peers into my face, looking for something. She shoves my shoulder and winks before her face becomes solemn. “If you don’t tell about tonight neither will we.” With that she turns and runs into the trees, her limbs fluidly turning from human to wolf. With a bark at her male companion they disappear into the night.

Ben looks flushed, a little worn, but … happy? There was no way he enjoyed that.

“I had some extra energy to work off. It was a pleasant distraction. The wolf needed a tumble too. The female is in heat but denies him.” Ben takes my arm and pulls me back towards the road. “Fascinating creatures, Lycanthropes. Not quite human and not quite animal. They straddle both worlds and their customs blend that of beast and man.”