Chapter 28

Sidney entered the large foyer of Stephan and Liz's home behind the human who opened the door for her.

"The masters will be down momentarily," he said through his nose, bowing as he left her in the front sitting room.

Their home was the epitome of grandeur and the oldest inhabited castle in the north of Ireland. The decor was very modern and unexpected given the age of the building, and the fact that Stephan was one of the biggest antique dealers in the country. It made the castle feel homely and welcoming. Sidney felt instantly at ease as she sat in the large cream armchair while she waited for her hosts to appear for her unexpected visit.

A pretty, young woman entered the room and curtsied to Sidney. "The masters wish me to offer you sustenance." She knelt on the floor in front of Sidney and offered up her wrist. She kept her head down to avoid looking Sidney in the eye.

"Thank you, but I'm fine," Sidney replied. The young woman looked up with fear in her eyes at her refusal and Sidney caught the faint whisper of a brutal slap that crossed her memory. She helped her to stand. "I've already eaten. Really, I'm fine." She could feel the woman's relief as she all but ran from the room. Sidney couldn't help but wonder at the reason for the fear while she waited for her hosts.

Draped in a peach-coloured, silk robe with lace trim, Liz arrived first - her attire elegant, but for the bunny slippers peeking out below the hem of the gown. She enveloped Sidney in a hug. "It's been too long." She smiled in greeting.

"I know, I keep meaning to call, but something always seems to crop up at the last moment."

Stephan swept into the room, cutting off any further catching up between the two. He had dressed himself in a red, velvet robe that was almost as frivolous as the one Liz wore. "Sidney, dear," he said, taking her hand to his lips for a mock kiss across her knuckles. "What have you gotten yourself into?"

"That's right, assume I'm in trouble." She rolled her eyes at him. "I'm on a fact-finding mission actually."

"Fine." He chuckled. "How can we help?"

"I'll get straight to the point. I've obviously interrupted something." She smiled wickedly. "Is it possible for a vampire to have a werewolf as a mate?"

He returned her smile and indicated for them all to sit. "In theory, yes, I suppose they could. Why? Have you finally found a mate for yourself?"

"Me? No, but what if that vampire already had a vampire mate. Would it be possible to have both?"

"Hmm, two mates, one soul and one bond? I've never heard of such a thing happening. It's highly unlikely but again, in theory, possible," he replied thoughtfully. He sat forward in his seat, anxious to hear more. "Are you going to fill us in on who we are referring to?"

"Well, you know how Sam thinks he's found his soul mate?"

"Yes we've met the girl. Very pretty little thing she is too," Liz interrupted her.

"What do you mean, thinks?" Stephan shushed his wife by flapping his hand in her direction.

"I can see in his mind that he feels strongly for her, and she does for him too, but there's something not right about it. He tried to share blood with her and ended up poisoned by it. We almost lost him. Had it not been such a small amount, Callie's quick action in flushing it out and him being able to feed straight away, we would have. He is still terribly weak, but recovering. I had put the poison down to her having drunk from a young witch just the day before..."

"She was able to drink witch blood without ill effect?" Stephan gasped.

"Yes, and again I thought perhaps because she is a witch herself, it didn't affect her the same way as it would us."