Chapter 12

Several hours later, the first of the circled witches began to stir. Laura jerked her hands, attempting to rouse her best friend and when she woke, they roused the others. The exception was Irene's grandmother, who appeared to be unconscious rather than sleeping. They carried her prone figure to her bedroom and laid her on the bed. Returning to the dining room, they found both Williams girls awake but disorientated and helped them to sit on nearby chairs. Irene fetched them a glass of water each.

"How do you feel?" she asked, handing the glasses over.

"Tired, but strangely full of energy at the same time," Callie answered first. "Does that even make sense?"

"I ache all over. Even my hair hurts," Adie groaned.

"Callie, why don't you bring your breakfast up here and eat with us?" Irene suggested. It came across as more of an order. "We can discuss what we're going to do while we get something to eat."

Two of the witches set about fixing breakfast, while the others cleared the mess in the dining room by returning the furniture to its original place. Just as the last chair was positioned under the table, Elizabeth and Jennifer began bringing the food in. Callie gratefully found a large pint glass by her spot at the table in place of a plate. She sipped her juice while she watched the witches eat the traditional Irish breakfast consisting of bacon, sausage, egg, potato bread, soda bread, wheaten bread and pancakes.

"I miss actually eating." Callie sighed. "It smells wonderful."

Chuckles and giggles erupted around the table, breaking the slight tension Callie had subconsciously felt. She relaxed with a deep calming breath and joined in the chat.

The dishes were washed and left to drain before the six coven witches left, returning to their homes and families. Adrianne, Callie and Irene stood at the door waving them off.

"I think we should test what elements your powers have taken while we wait for Grandma to wake up."

Irene led the way to the garden and took up the central seat under the shade. She asked both of them to perform various tasks incorporating the five elements. While Callie had trouble with only one, she excelled at the four others. Adie excelled at two, but had yet to gain control of the other three.

"Adie you seem to be extremely strong earth and your control of metal is outstanding. Callie, four! Earth is not your strongest but even that is better than most witches I've met."

Just then, a loud crash came from upstairs. Callie was there almost instantly and found Rosemary on the floor of the bedroom. She picked her up and gently laid her on the bed as the others entered the room.

"Grandma!" Irene cried, flinging herself on the bed to hold her.

Callie whispered for Adie's ears only, "Her heartbeat is weak."

Adie stepped forward to place her hands on the crone's forehead and closed her eyes in concentration. She moved her hands over Rosemary's chest and lungs - a faint white light developed beneath her hands.

"I can't cure the cancer that eats her flesh but I can give her a little time," Adie said, not understanding how she knew, but accepting that she did. She continued to pour energy into healing until the old crone blinked open her eyes.

"It figures Adie would be a healer - she has always been a natural nurse," Callie commented as the four sat at in the living room discussing the powers.

Callie opened her hand and called fire. As a small flame appeared in her palm, she directed it to the fireplace. The fire erupted with a whoosh. Flame licked the edge of the seat in front of it.

"You need to work on your control!" Rosemary screeched, moving her legs away from the flame. "That will come with practice of course, but can we keep the fire balls outside until you do?"

"I wonder what's keeping Sam. He was supposed to be back by now," Callie mused aloud, changing the subject. "According to Gill he's not answering calls. Do you think he's abandoned me here?"

"Have you tried looking for him?" Irene asked. "You should be able to see him like you did the demon."

Callie shook her head. "I don't know how I did it the last time. It just happened."

The crone sighed. "We have a lot to do, but I can see your thoughts are elsewhere. Lie down on the sofa and relax. Close your eyes and see his face. Concentrate on his face. Let everything else go and think only of ..."

Rosemary's voice faded into the background of her mind as Sam's face came into focus. The rest of him soon followed and she was horror-struck by what she saw. His wrists were bound by chains and attached by a hook to the wall above his head, which rested awkwardly against his chest. Purpling bruises on his face stood in stark contrast against his pale skin and the blood coating his naked chest. On closer inspection, she saw a wooden stake lodged deep, narrowly missing his heart. She looked around and when she saw no one guarding his cell, she strode out from the shadows. Somehow in the dream vision, she was able to lift him from the hook and lay him on the dusty floor, where she released his wrists from the chained cuffs. She gently touched his face and traced the contour of his lips before pressing hers to them.

"I'll find you. Hold on a bit longer," she whispered. "I'm coming."

She scanned the room again and crossed through the bars of his cell to the first door she spotted. On the next level, she found another door that led to a large parking area. She kept to the shadows of the building as she made her way to the end where she could see illuminated signs.

Something shook her and the vision disappeared. She woke to find three sets of worried eyes staring at her from above.

"I have to find him," Callie cried, leaping from the sofa. "Someone has him bound, chained and staked. He's dying!"

"Think dear, what else did you see? Some clue to where he's being held," coaxed the crone.

"Above the cell was a car park. The building was maybe two storey, grey brick with tin sheeting on the upper half, I think. It looked a bit like a warehouse."

"Doesn't ring any bells with me."

"Nor me," agreed Irene.

"Sam was headed for a boat, so maybe it's a warehouse near the port?" Adie suggested.

"I guess it's a place to start. Irene do you mind if Adie stays with you?" She turned to Adie, "It's too dangerous for you."

"What? And it's not dangerous for you?" Adie countered.

"I'm already dead."

"Un-dead actually, they can still kill you. Besides, I can heal Sam." Adie attempted to persuade her.

"I'll be able to get in and out without them seeing me. Quicker too. I'm sorry, Adie, I won't be gone long. It's only a forty minute drive from here. Anyway, I need to feed. The supplies Irene got for me are gone." She hugged the three remaining behind and left, ignoring any further arguments.

In his basement cell, Sam heard a whisper. "I'm coming. Hold on a little longer." He could faintly smell Callie, as if she'd been there.

"No," he whimpered. "Don't come."