Prologue

The squeaking of the rusty chains on the swings was the only sound that could be heard in the park. There was no wind, no cars driving past. You couldn’t even hear the breathing from the two teenagers sitting on the swings. You couldn’t hear her heart breaking.
“Do you really have to go Brendon?” She asked, her voice barely a whisper.
“You know if I had a choice I’d stay with you.” He replied without looking up from the ground. He couldn’t bear to see the pain on her face.
“But why? You’re all I know Brendon. There’s no one else here who gets me like you do. No one else cares.” She paused. “I love you Brendon.” Tears escaped from her eyes. He couldn’t put it off any longer. He looked up. His stomach dropped straight away when he saw her crying, her beautiful face contorted in pain. Her beautiful eyes filled with sadness.
“I love you too.” He said standing up. He pulled her into his arms and held her as if it would be the last time. “It probably will be the last time...” he said to himself.
“Will you come back and see me?” She asked, her voice muffled as she buried her head in his shirt.
“I’ll try. We can email and stuff.”
“I don’t want you to go.”
“I don’t want to go either, but what can I do?” There was silence for the next few minutes as the couple stood together. Brendon knew that he had to go, but he didn’t want to leave the arms of the girl he loved.
“I, I have to go now.” He said, trying not to cry.
“I’ll miss you.” Was all she could manage to say. She could see he was hurting just as much as she was, and she wanted to try to be brave, for him.
“I love you so much, much more than I ever got to show you.” He held her at arm’s length before saying “I won’t forget you, Sarah. Ever.” He kissed her softly on the lips, and again on her forehead. Taking one last look into her big blue eyes, he let go of her hands, and walked away.
Sarah had never felt more alone.