Mate of the Werewolf - Last Wolf Standing

AN: Second last chapter. Yes, the next chapter will be the last. Thanks so much to everyone who commented, voted, liked and added this story to their library. I hope you’ll enjoy this chapter as well.

And no, I’m not sorry for the previous cliff-hanger~ <3

-

Chapter 12: Last Wolf Standing

“Chance!” Ethan called out in relief as he immediately made his way to his mate’s side. But his relief soon turned to concern when Chance grunted and fell onto the ground, kicking up a small cloud of dust by doing so. Vicious bite marks and tears of canine nails littered Chance’s bulky form, his fur matting together from the blood, seemingly both his and his opponent’s.

“Do you feel light-headed or dizzy?” Ethan immediately asked, falling into his medical training side of his personality. “Do you feel feverish at all? Any numbness? What about-?”

“I’m...alright,” Chance said as a statement of reassurance, lifting his head to give Ethan a tender look.

However, there was a slight hesitation and Ethan didn’t quite believe him. He continued to run a train gaze over his mate’s form, trying his best to evaluate which wounds could be more serious than another. But even though his eyes were well adjusted to the night darkness around them, the first morning rays not far away, he couldn’t properly assess Chance’s injuries out in the open like this.

With a sigh, Ethan pressed his head against Chance, unconcerned of the blood staining his white fur. He just needed to feel that Chance was alive and still with him. After just losing his sister, the only other person he had ever known for such a long time, he couldn’t bear to lose Chance too.

Taking a moment to reassure and comfort one another, Ethan finally pulled away momentarily to turn to the other two accompanying wolves and he noticed that Ross was cautiously edging his way toward Raven’s body. Myles was lingering far in the background, his ears folded back in a sign of fear.

“Ross?” he questioned. “Is he...?” he then paused, seemingly unable to finish his query.

Ethan, too, found a lump in his throat. “Is he dead?” he finally asked, everyone turning their attention to the Shaded Wolf.

Ross edged closer to his former Alpha, lifting his right front paw to touch the black and red wolf quickly with an investigating poke, before leaping back onto his haunches, ready for battle if necessary.

Everyone stilled, tensed for what could happen next.

But nothing happened.

So, Ross ventured close again, his ears twitching and his noise sniffing upon the air. This time he lost a bit of his caution and lowered his head to quietly nudge Raven with his nose. Still no movement so he nudged a little harder.

Still nothing.

Turning his head, Ross lowered his ear to hover an inch or so above Raven’s chest and everyone held their breathes, waiting.

“...Yeah,” Ross finally said, bowing his head slightly in a sign of respect before turning around and trotting away from the unmoving wolf. “He’s dead.”

Although guilty that another life had been taken this night, there was also a sense of relief.

“It’s over,” Chance said what was on everyone else’s mind and turned his eyes to Ethan again. “You’re safe now.”

“I’m sorry,” Ethan apologized softly in reply, once again nuzzling his head against Chance’s affectionately. “This is all my fault.”

“No, you are not to blame,” Chance immediately disputed, lifting his head sharply, making Ethan look into his eyes. “Ethan, look at me; none of this is your fault.”