9- Saying Sorry

“Yes I said Elise was one of my partners, why?” I asked, bewildered. I stared up at my sister, trying to understand what she was thinking.

Riley’s eyes got impossibly wider and she exclaimed, “How is that even possible?”

“Okay calm down and tell me what you’re talking about,” I commanded, wondering if she’d gone insane. Maybe it was because she and Tristan were fighting.

She sat down on the edge of my bed. “I knew Elise; she was in my grade when I was at high school. I hated her because she was always trying to flirt with Tristan. And then I found out she wanted him for something because he has white fur when he shifts into a tiger. But I ran into her at the store once and she apologized for everything and said she had it wrong because Tristan was a boy and had black stripes.”

I stared at Riley, speechless. I didn’t know if she was right or if she’d gone crazy. It was impossible for Elise to have been the same age for five years. Mr. Baker was a vampire and even he aged.

“So you think she wants to kill me?” I inferred, deciding to humor my sister.

She shrugged. “Maybe not kill, but she definitely wants something. Just stay away from her, okay? Maybe she’ll leave you alone if she doesn’t know…”

“Riley, do you know how crazy you sound right now?” I asked her, raising my eyebrows. She sighed and glowered at me.

Then she pursed her lips before saying, “I know, but I’m telling the truth. So you need to be really careful; no more running around alone in the forest. I’ll come with you next time.”

“Riley,” I nearly shouted, trying to bring some sanity back to her. “I’ll be careful if it makes you feel better, but Elise doesn’t seem all that bad.”

Riley nodded slowly and got up, her hand on her forehead. “I’m getting a headache. I’m going to go sleep it off, alright?”

“Sure,” I replied and she walked out of my room. I waited about ten minutes before leaving and starting my motorcycle. I needed to get away from Riley’s current craziness and I now had an idea on how to get Mr. Baker to forgive me.

As I approached Mr. Baker’s apartment, I started to feel nervous that he wouldn’t like what I’d gotten him or that he wouldn’t accept my apology. But I didn’t turn back, despite how much I wanted to. I needed to face problems, not run away.

When I got to the correct door, I had to kick it as a form of knocking because my hands were full. He didn’t answer right away and I started to worry that he wasn’t home. But then the door swung open and I came face-to-face with him. My words caught in my throat at his appearance. The only thing Mr. Baker was wearing was a pair of sweatpants. His rumpled hair and sleep filled eyes added to the affect.

He blinked at me. “Tally, what are you doing here?”

“Hi. I didn’t know you were asleep; if I had I wouldn’t have come and uh, I wouldn’t have brought you coffee,” I stuttered, holding on tighter to the coffee while trying not to look at his abs.

He chuckled before remembering he was supposed to be mad at me. “Why are you here?” I tried not to feel hurt at his words.

“Take your coffee and I’ll show you,” I offered.

Mr. Baker hesitated. “Which one is mine?”

“The one on the left,” I replied and he carefully pried it from my hand. Because of all the stuff I had, I’d been forced to carry both coffees in one hand. “Can I come in?”

He nodded and moved out of the way to let me in. “I guess so…” I walked in and then turned to face him, holding up the teddy bear and chocolates I had bought.