•Part Nine•

Ever tried dating a dully dumb football player? 

No? 

Congratulations. You are now named THE smartest girl in the world.

Austin had no personality outside of football and his utterly degrading job being the ticket advisor for the Kiddy Coaster in at Arty's Amazing Amusement Park. 

Three days. Five dates. Hundreds of boring topics later. 

I couldn't take it anymore. 

Let's just say I was a BIT relieved when it came time to go to Daniel's charity race.

"I just don't get it. Why do I have to come with you?" Ashley was leaned up against my doorway asking me everything about races. Now we were finally to a question that I could answer without her giving me a ditsy look directly after. 

Hopefully. 

"You're going with me so that I have somebody to sit with me in the stands." I answered, pulling my ponytail through the back of my ball cap. 

She just nodded. "So tell me again where the speedway is?" 

I groaned and grabbed my phone. "You'll figure out on the ride there. "  

~*~ 

I pushed through crowd of watchers to an empty spot on the bleachers. Ashley set down and I handed her the hotdog that she bought at the concession stand. 

"Oh. My. Gosh. What are we going to do here? We're surrounded by dirty people." Ashley complained. "Woah! It's like all of them have stains on their shirts!" 

"ASHLEY!" I shouted at her, "Shut up or you're gunna get your skinny little ass kicked! Not all people are like you. These people are from the country. This is their hobby. I used to come here all the time when I was a kid. With Daniel." 

She nodded, "Did you look like this?" 

"Worse."

She gasped. 

I just nodded, "Anyhoozle. I'm going down to the garage to see Daniel. Be back soon." 

"Wait! Don't leave me here!" Ashley called. 

~*~

The sounds of drills and the smell of gas lingered in the garage as I made my way through the crowds of drivers. I spotted Daniel and his car at the end of the garage. 

I waved. 

He didn't see me. 

I started my way through the rows of racers until someone stopped me. 

"Well hello." 

I looked up at the source of the voice. 

"Remember me?" he asked. 

I shook my head. 

"James."

Oh. My. God. Save me now. Please.

Just then, Daniel grabbed my arm. 

"James." Daniel said dully. I curled into Daniel's arm. Eager to get away from this situation. 

"Daniel." James said nervously. "I didn't know you were racing today." 

He nodded, "Yeah well I am. And how about you leave Tara alone?" 

"Protective as always. Good luck Daniel." he said, turning back to his car. 

~*~ 

 "So this is it?" I asked, running my fingers along the smooth new paint on Daniel's racer. 

"Yeah. What do you think?" he asked. 

"I think this is a gawd awful shade of green." I joked. 

"Ha-ha." he said sarcastically. "Come here I want to show you something."

Daniel and I stepped over to the tire, and he pointed. I blushed as I read in small letters under 'Goodyear'. My name was painted on in pink. 'Tara'. 

"Daniel. You didn't have to do that." 

He scoffed, "I didn't do it for you! I need the luck!" 

"Well." I said. "Trust me. I am anything but luck." 

~*~ 

"When does Daniel's race start?" Ashley groaned. 

I couldn't blame her this time. We'd sat through a midget race, a half n half, and a demolishon derby. Daniel's race was next. 

"Soon, Ashley. Soon." 

"Alright!" the announcer called from the pressbox, "Next we have the Charity race for Southern May Cancer Research Hospital. Please welcome your racers!" 

The crowd cheered as the cars came from the garage one by one. I cheered extra loud as Daniel's bright green car drove right up behind James and his racer. 

I rolled my eyes. 

29 laps later, I -as well as the rest of the people in the stands- was on my feet watching for the final lap. Daniel was neck and neck with another contestant with James right behind. I would be more excited if some old guy with a beer gut and a shirt that said, 'You can't handle this', wasn't screaming for the kid chasing for first place against Daniel. 

I dealt with it for awhile. Until he crossed the line. 

"Come on Anthony! That boy couldn't race if he wanted to!" 

I stood up quickly and twisted around. "Listen here bucko. That boy that 'couldn't race if he wanted to'... is my guy. So I suggest that you shut your big redneck mouth before this little college girl throws a hell of a hissy fit. Get it? Got it? Good."

AUTHORS NOTE:

Hello my pretties! REALLLLY Short chapter! Kind of a filler chapter since I lost those 2 chapters I had written. ): Hope it's okay though! It added a few things though right? A little more into Tara's protectiveness... her tomboyish side... and James. What's so weird about him? Heerrrmmm ? 

Fact #9 ; My all time favorite movie is 'Grease' & my all time favorite show is 'Friends'. ;D