•Part Seven•

Relay must’ve been the longest day of my life. The blood drive kicked me out so others could do their share of work, so I was bored out of my mind and had no idea where Mr. Relay was.

                  Eleana came over and sat next to me, “Hey.”

                  I sighed, “Whaddup?”

                  “Bored out of my freakin’ mind. You?”

                  “Same.” I groaned, “And… I can’t find Austin.”

                  “Ahhh,” she nudged me teasingly, “Mr. Relay, aye?”

                  I nodded, “Yerp.”

                  “He’s probably at the football game… I mean he is quarterback.”

                  I face palmed, “Oh my gosh. You’re right!”

                  “Duh.” She laughed, “When am I wrong?”

                  I stood up, “Watch him turn out not to be a player and be, like, totally sweet.”

                  “Doubt it. Besides, that’s your guilt if he is. Cause you know if you lead those good boys on, they don’t go away.”

                  I thought of Daniel for a moment.

                  “Yeah. Let’s, um… let’s go ahead to the field.” I proposed.

~*~

                  The football game tonight was a Relay fundraiser football game, so it was played in the schools stadium.

                  We went to a private school, so they took a lot of pride in their equipment. You’d think the field was for a college if you saw it. The bleachers were coated in a layer of people in pink, and the concession stands were crowded with people in pink, and I felt as though I stuck out in my white tank top.

                   The team wasn’t on the field yet, but were crowded around the back of the bleachers with many other students and random watchers. I walked over to try and find Austin. The team was having a pep talk and nosy fans were listening intently. I got there in time for the break, and the players dispersed in their own directions. I waited for a moment to get clear looks at their faces.

                  Then there he was.

                  Mr. Relay. All tanned up and in his pink football uniform. Number 26. He had long hair that flipped outwards right above his eyebrows. He’d probably look really good if he cut it. His pale blue eyes ventured the crowds of cheerleaders as his other teammates weaved in and out around him. I nudged Eleana, “Wish me luck.”

                  She laughed, “As if you need it. You could walk over there with a load of cow shit in your hair and still get that boy.”

                  I smiled at her one last time then started over to the crowd. Players turned completely around to watch me walk by, and I felt a ping of self-confidence bounce around inside my chest.

                  Or maybe it was just butterflies.

                  I went over to Austin and lightly tapped his shoulder. He turned around wide-eyed and smiled. I found my tongue dry when I went to talk. What was I supposed to say? I wasn’t good at this! They chose me… I didn’t choose them!

                  “I… um… I like your jersey.” I managed out.

                  ‘I like your jersey’? What the heck Tara! Pull yourself together!

                  “Thanks,” he said, “It’s for the relay.”

                  “Oh that’s right,” I said, trying to sound nonchalant, “You’re Mr. Relay, right?”

                  He nodded, smiling, “The one and only.”

                  “Well,” I began to change the subject, “I don’t know much about football, but hows about you play good out there tonight?”

                  “I play good every night.”

                  “But this ones for me.” I winked, and then walked back to Eleana who was patiently waiting by the fence surrounding the field.

                  “Did ya get ‘er done?” she asked.

                  I shrugged, “Guess we’ll find out after the game.”

                  The game continued on until the final buzzer sounded. Austin’s Relay Team beat the opposing Relay Team 28 to 14. Little canons shot out pink and white confetti as the team ran off the field and back into the crowds.

                  I smiled over at Ashley who had arrived with the rest of the crew a couple minutes into the game.

                  “Well,” she said, “Mr. Relay won. Ready to go get him?”

                  I sighed, “How do I know if he’s a player or not?”

                  “Well what did he say when you were flirting with him?”   

                  “He just kinda talked like we were having a conversation.” I told her.

                  “Well then, this is what you do:” Ashley began, “Just kiss him. And if he shoves you away, he’s not a player. If he doesn’t, then he is.”

                  “How accurate can that really be?” I grumbled.

                  “About as accurate as Carla with a bow and arrow.”

                  Carla was the nine-time archery champion at summer camp all through middle and high school. (Just to put that into perspective)

                  I glared at her, “If this doesn’t work, it’s your head on the platter tonight.”

                  “Pfft. I’d put my head on a platter just to see you do it... Goodie-Two-Shoes.”

                  Ignoring her, I turned around and headed towards the crowd of players and fans. I had a feeling that getting through the crowd would be one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done.

                  I pushed through the people one by one, mumbling ‘excuse me’ the whole way through. Elbows crushed into me, I got smacked in the face a couple times, and I’m pretty sure someone punctured my kidney with the end of a ‘Hoora!’ flag. 

                  I finally burst through to the center of the players, and found Austin immediately. I looked up at him and he smiled at me. “Did you see that last touchdown?” he asked, “Maybe you’re my lucky charm.”

                  “Yeah I saw it.” I lied, “I told you you’d play better for me.”

                  He smiled down at me and I just did it.

                  I just reached up and kissed him. And he kissed back. He didn’t push away. He didn’t resist. If anything, he didn’t even acted surprised. I pulled away and he looked down at me. “So, what do you want to do now?” he asked.

                  Yep.

FACT #7: I'm not a Directioner, but I took all of the umph I had in me and bought my best friend a life size cardboard cutout of Niall Horan for her birthday. It hurt just to press the 'order' button on Amazon. I still have the nightmares.