eight

(play too good by troye sivan for dramatic effect)

                                                                                  E I G H T

                                                                            "Too Good"

                                                                           .             .            .

Some nights Callie finds it hard to sleep.

She tosses and turns, huffs and puffs, but in the end her brain won't let her rest. She sighs deeply and turns to the side, to where she can see a peaceful Brandon sound asleep.

Ugh, she groans internally, That lucky bastard.

Callie shuffles a bit more before making amends with her legs, that have settled atop one another. She stares at him, a longing feeling overwhelming her. Her heart swells as she watches him turn over to where he's facing her. His eyes are still shut and his lips are puckered. Callie swallows hard, her eyes wandering down. Down. Down.

Matter speaks before mind and she's peeling the covers off of her, swinging her legs over the edge of the bed, and sneaking across the room.

Her thumb brushes against his cheek. She has no idea what she's doing or why, she just wants to be closer to him. Which is odd, because for the past few weeks, she's resented him. Maybe it's because of last night; he didn't have to comfort her or drive her to the motel for an escape. He doesn't owe her anything -- in Callie's opinion, of course. In Brandon's perspective he owes her the world and more.

Brandon stirs but doesn't awake, rubbing his other cheek into his pillow and humming. Callie smiles softly and applies more pressure, to the point where she's pretty much squishing his cheek.

"Huh -- Wha. . ." When the sensation hits him and he blinks a few times to focus on Callie's darkened figure above him, his mouth falls open slightly in shock, "Callie. . ."

"Sorry," she whispers, "This was stupid, go back to sleep." she closes her eyes momentarily in embarrassment before beginning to push herself off of the bed. Something warm wraps around her wrist and pulls her back down again. She looks to Brandon, who seems confused yet determined on making her stay. His eyebrows are pulled together in the middle and his lips are settling into a frown.

"Is something wrong?"

She opens her mouth to speak, but no coherent sentence comes out. She's a stuttering mess, shrugging and laughing nervously, "N-Nah, I just, um. . ." her face burns and she's starting to rub her nose.

"Hey, it's okay," Brandon reassures her, "just go back to sleep."

"I don't want to." she blurts.

He quirks an eyebrow at her.